Advice needed! TransCooler W/AN Fittings... NEW TO ME!

-

wjaholic

My car stole my wallet!
Reaction score
I am working out all the fittings I need to install a new Transmission cooler in my car.

I have a 440/727 in a '74 A-body. I am going to mount the transmission cooler in front of the radiator, in the lower drivers side corner.

My Plan is to use this transmission cooler:

B&M 70274 Fluid Cooler, Engine, Transmission, Plate-Type, Aluminum, Black, 11 in. x 11 in. x 1 1/2 in.

With this black -6AN hose from Earls:

EAR-352006ERL Hose, Pro-Lite 350, Braided Nylon, -6 AN, 20 ft. Length,

I am going to use 4 of these 1/8"NPT to -6AN adapters, 2 in the case of the transmission. The other 2 in the factory transmission cooler in the radiator.

EAR-AT981662ERL Fitting, Straight, -6 AN Male to 1/8 in. NPT Male, Aluminum, Black Hard Anodized, Ano-Tuff,

Then I am going to go to the auxilary transmission cooler VIA the -6 Hose ends and these -6AN to 1/2" Adpaters.

EAR-AT809106ERL Fitting, Hose End, Ano-Tuff Swivel-Seal, 90 Degree, -6 AN Hose to Female -6 AN, Aluminum, Black,

EAR-AT981668ERL Fitting, Straight, -6 AN Male to 1/2 in. NPT Male, Aluminum, Black Hard Anodized, Ano-Tuff,

Now, I have never worked with AN fittins or hose but, have been reading about how to work with them.

Seems easy enough... What do you think of the plan?

Go for it! Sounds like a good plan. The cooler you chose should more than keep the tranny cool. Good luck.

-6 is Roughly 5/16 ID.

Im using -6AN to 1/8 NPT Fittings on my 904.

Actually 6 an is 3/8". The number the hose is called, i.e. 4an, 6an, 8an, etc.. is the amount of 1/16ths. In other words 4an = 4/16 (1/4)", 6an = 6/16 (3/8)", 8an = 8/16 (1/2)".

Hydraulic fittings are very easy to work with and you can make them look nice and neat. Sounds like a good plan wjaholic.

Interesting,

Thanks for the Correction!

This is my Trans Cooler

fclapv.jpg

16kvqxw.jpg

34edj74.jpg

116rt4w.jpg

I just bought that same cooler, does anybody have pics of how and where they mounted it? it's a monster and I'm kinda debating on putting that big thing in front of the radiator. I think it may block to much air to cool the engine.

I'm kinda thinking in the back of the car somewhere, does that sound like a dumb idea or what?

I'm doing the trans cooler on mine right now.

I'd double check your line routing. The stock routing is between the engine and the headers, and that could get pretty hot for that type of hose.

What are you doing to get the lines out from the area in front of the radiator? I'm thinking of making a hole and running them beside the radiator and down, but am not real thrilled about that.

-
Back