advice on a bb in a 66 dart

-

66Dartdriver

Reaction score
Hey I see the pics so I know its possible but what can anyone tell me about putting a bb in my dart I want to run my 833 no pwr steering. Is there a physical size difference between the 383 and 440 or just bore and stroke? In someones pics I saw exhaust manifolds do they fit better than hacking up my inner fenders? any advice would be greatly appreciated. What about the handling is it aweful with a 440? thx

i do know about handling if your car has a small block in it you will need to change the torsion bars to big block or your front end will bounce as you go down the road not a good feeling.

i do know about handling if your car has a small block in it you will need to change the torsion bars to big block or your front end will bounce as you go down the road not a good feeling.

Not really. Get stiff shocks, like KYB or better. 383 with AL (intake, water pump and housing) is same weight as the stock SB. B is a better fit with Hi-po manifolds than the RB 440, 440 puts Hi-po logs out even farther and that puts them right in front of your steering shaft. Unless you are going to build/stroke the 383, an SB stroker kit is way more practical especially with the good SB heads nowdays. Done both, SB has more exhaust options, although still somewhat limited.

I went with KYB shocks as well 890 torsion bars and it has a nice firm feel even with the added weight of the 440. Firm but not too tight. Thing thing with headers is that the easiest route is to go fenderwall but that just isnt my cup of tea. I went with schumacher tri-y headers but I did have to do some cutting and welding to get them to wrap around the steering box and torsion bars (they arent made for Early-A's). You also HAVE to go to disk brakes up front at the very least. Sub-frame connectors are also STRONGLY suggested!! To me, all the extra work is worth it, but its not a job where you can easily just throw things on right out of the box without modifications to parts and/or the car. Good luck deciding and let us know what you decide!!

thanks for the info. I am running a /6 now and am planning on building my motor so I figured why not go big. I do like to get an idea of what im in for. Its nice to be able to get feedback from the people who have done it

Its not that big of deal to put a 44 in a 66 dart. Since this pic was taken we have raced the car about 5 times. Best time so far is 11.78 with just an old truck motor in it.
DSCF5689.jpg

-
Back