AFR guage

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
wondering if somebody could recommend a wideband air/fuel gauge kit.
There are so many to choose from. I'm really looking for something simple and to the point, for a carbureted engine.

wondering if somebody could recommend a wideband air/fuel gauge kit.
There are so many to choose from. I'm really looking for something simple and to the point, for a carbureted engine.
Depends what you are going to use it for.
For making the best use of WBO2, I recommend logging with rpm as a minimum. Throttle sensor and Vacuum (MAP sensor) are a big help too.
Several recent threads on AFR use for tuning you can look at to get some idea of what you might want to do.

I want one just for tuning purposes. I guess I'm looking for one that will just show me "real time" AFR, whether it be idling, cruising or WOT.
I sure don't need something that's a pain in the *** to work, or something to obsess over. It seems like with today's gasoline, it's just too hard to look at a plug and know you're good.

I'm putting out pretty good HP and an extended lean condition could be a disaster.

I'm using the one I suggested, it works great, it is very easy to install and it doesn't have to be calibrated. It really helps when tuning your carb at idle or when driving down the road at cruz or WOT. It is nice to see any changes that you made with the idle screw, jets or metering rods.

I'm using the one I suggested, it works great, it is very easy to install and it doesn't have to be calibrated. It really helps when tuning your carb at idle or when driving down the road at cruz or WOT. It is nice to see any changes that you made with the idle screw, jets or metering rods.
I just checked it out on Summit's website. Man those instructions are ridiculously complex. For my intended use it appears that i just need to weld in the bung, hook up the gauge and go. ....I think.

I just checked it out on Summit's website. Man those instructions are ridiculously complex. For my intended use it appears that i just need to weld in the bung, hook up the gauge and go. ....I think.

power wire and ground and that's it. Make sure you install the bung at an angle so the condensation does not sit on the 02 sensor. Next your ready for tuning and then you have a peace of mind knowing how your motor is operating

I want one just for tuning purposes. I guess I'm looking for one that will just show me "real time" AFR, whether it be idling, cruising or WOT.
I sure don't need something that's a pain in the *** to work, or something to obsess over. It seems like with today's gasoline, it's just too hard to look at a plug and know you're good.

I'm putting out pretty good HP and an extended lean condition could be a disaster.
I think you'll know that before the gage tells you - except perhaps at the track.
Part thottle, cruise and idle some engines can go quite lean, and how lean will vary from engine to engine. At light to moderate load too lean they shut off or rev and shut off.

If you're already somewhat familiar with plug reading, there's some guys here that can help you with reading - even with todays street fuels. eg @yellow rose

power wire and ground and that's it. Make sure you install the bung at an angle so the condensation does not sit on the 02 sensor. Next your ready for tuning and then you have a peace of mind knowing how your motor is operating
That's what I wanted to hear. Will call Summit tomorrow and see if they'll match Ebag price.

I do run leaded race fuel on occasion, so it's gonna be tight where I weld the bung. Pretty sure I want it before the header evac tube. I measured my number 7 tube and it looks like about 34 or 35 inches. They suggest at least 36, if you run leaded fuel. Should be ok.

AEM Electronics Wideband Air/Fuel UEGO Gauge Kits 30-4110
Easy to install

Summit Racing
AEM Electronics Wideband Air/Fuel UEGO Gauge Kits 30-4110 $219.99

here is a ebay listing for it at $169.99. Summit will match the price.

AEM 30-4110 DIGITAL WIDEBAND UEGO CONTROLLER AIR FUEL RATIO KIT NEW BOSCH 4.9LSU | eBay
Thanks Mr d1970! Summit did match the Ebag price and the AEM is on its way. Might even show up tomorrow! Sometimes I think they ship before you hang up the phone :canada:

Just finished up the install today. Well almost. Just have to connect hot and ground wires.

You have no idea how hard it was to drill a big *** hole in my brand new TTI's..........but it looks nice. A little Duplicolor aluminum around the bung did the trick.

Will see tomorrow how she works.

Put the bung on inside of passenger side of the header. Ran it today and all seems well, installation-wise.
I'm a bit rich at idle. Don't know about WOT yet. Need to have some room when you're just stomping damn near 600 horses.

It was my first ride since the engine was on the dyno, but it seems easy to get transfixed on the gauge . I'm definitely going to need a passenger when I start REALLY checking AFR through the whole RPM range.

LeadeD fuel.will damage o2 sensor! Dial it in on unleaded and then remove sensor peior to leaded fuel or you will damage it. Also don't let it see silicone, strange warning...

-
Back