After 4 years Now she just won't start

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well I thought I would get out of the house by myself and enjoy a good salmon dinner and watch the race yesterday (Sunday).
I jumped in Victoria and drive to town 10 miles and eat :happy1:
I called an old friend to join me and he said he needed to stay home lack of gas and money, so I ordered him a Ham and cheese with a side of onion rings and dropped them off to him. He is retired and living in a retirement home housing development
I went in for a few minutes and came back out to my car and all she would do is spin over :-k, Wow!! This was weird and has never happened :-k
I pulled the breather and looked in the carb and sure as heck I hade gas flow :-|
I feel the ballast resister and it felt normal, (I did not have a volt meter with me) so I did not want to bother the old guy and called my wife to come and pick me up and I just locked her (my 66 Sedan) up and came home.
Victoria has never let me down and this is the fist time she has ever not started :-k Volt meter in hand and an extra coil, ECU, ballast resister, and the original old voltage regulator that I just took off of her not 30 miles ago.
Could this new Voltage regulator quit on me :-k It is a re-pop for electronic ignition, My other one got toasted whem mother nature hit her with lightning last year and I have been running my old points style regulator till about 3 days ago.
Hopefully it is just a bad ground so I will have tools in hand to get her back on the hill and out of the retirement villa parking lot :blackeye:

Wish me luck, I am bringing my camera for pictures and updates

here she is after mother nature touched her last year:shaking2:

It sure felt weird and troubling not having her here on the hill with me last night :-|:-|

Attachments

• Spring%202011%20218.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 280
  • Spring%202011%20215.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 275
  • March 2012 1966 parts 069.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 273
  • March 2012 1966 parts 068.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 267
Good luck Mike, sounds like you got everything you need..maybe just a loose wire/ground?? Coil wire good?

Are slants gear driven on the cam? Could she have jumped some teeth? That's terrible....my 65 was a slant and I cannot even remember!!! Were you in the car when it was struck by lightning????

Good luck Mike, sounds like you got everything you need..maybe just a loose wire/ground?? Coil wire good?
Should be good 4spd, she just got all new wires last winter. I will have all the tools in hand to find out :happy2:

Are slants gear driven on the cam? Could she have jumped some teeth? That's terrible....my 65 was a slant and I cannot even remember!!! Were you in the car when it was struck by lightning????

I sure hope not Patch, she has 67.000 miles on her now and I will bring a plug socket with me to check to make sure my top dead center compression stroke is lined up on the rotor to #1, Dang I hope this is not the case :-|

Checked all my grounds and all was good, so I put my old blue ECU on that puked all over my inner fender on and she fired right up :cheers:
Simple fix today

Know I ask myself :-k Why did I not have my road trip tools with me yesterday :eek:ops:
I will be going back to town and drive her home after a stop a NAPA for a new ECU and put that Blue ecu back in my road trip bag.
All is good.

Attachments

• March 2012 1966 parts 099.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 239
  • March 2012 1966 parts 095.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 243
  • March 2012 1966 parts 097.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 239
glad you got her fixed. nothing worse than being stranded and having to leave your baby in a strange place miles from home. at least it wasnt anything serious :D

glad you got her fixed. nothing worse than being stranded and having to leave your baby in a strange place miles from home :D

I hear that :D Yes , I could not get it off my mind last night :-| So I got out as soon as I could as the sun came up.
I was comfy with where she was because it was right in front of my old friends door and security is good there, but still I could not rest good till I found out what the problem was :-k Thank you 73Abodee :D my day can move forward know :D:D:D:D:D

Glad to hear it was an easy fix for you Mike. :cheers: Way to go brother.

Wylde1.
Good morning Wylde1 :hello2:
I sure was happy to here the little 170 purr again and glad it was not a timing chain or dizzy gear problem :blob:
Thank you brother :rock:

I guess Victoria just wanted to play an April fools joke on you Mike. Glad to hear it was an easy fix.

:D:D That's what my old friend said yesterday Stan :D
But as you can see it did not fool me :toothy8: I sure am glad it turned out being just a simple fix :blackeye:
I woke up about 3 times between 2 am and 5 am this morning looking at the clock, I feel a hour nap coming on :happy1:
When it did not start yesterday I said OK who is pulling a joke on me :-| But she was all locked up and I have a cable pull to open my hood :D
Yep!! Glad to have this behind me for sure :happy2:

Glad it was a simple fix, I wasn't worried. Kinda figures the part that failed wasn't something in Mopar's original design but with 'new' technology.

Aw heck, Mike. I think you just wanted an excuse ta post a bunch o' picchers!!

cm_giggle.gif

I didn't think Mike would leave a lady stranded too long.
You know me Pete, I even lost sleep over her :D

Glad it was a simple fix, I wasn't worried. Kinda figures the part that failed wasn't something in Mopar's original design but with 'new' technology.
haha I here ya, That blue box I took off a coupe years ago and put the chrome ecu on that was in my stash, so a new one will be picked up today and the old blue one will be but in my emergency trip bag. Thank you :D I am to.

Aw heck, Mike. I think you just wanted an excuse ta post a bunch o' picchers!!

cm_giggle.gif

You know me to well, but this was a set of new pictures from today :D
here is an old one for you when I did the point's dizzy change out about 3 1/2 years ago :D

Attachments

• vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20069.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 173
check the voltages all out after you get her back runnin with the new ecu.

i think if the repop regulator you are using is not stable, it could be what damaged the ecu.

check the voltages all out after you get her back runnin with the new ecu.

i think if the repop regulator you are using is not stable, it could be what damaged the ecu.
I was woundering the same this, That is why I have the old one that came with my points system back on, it was the first thing I changed out moparlover, what should be my voltage going to my ecu ?
Or sould I test the voltage leaving the regulator at different RPM ranges ?
I am thinking I should change to the new style with the triangular two pin regulator and high jack a plug from my old truck wire harness :-k

Mike you don't necessarily need to go to the new style regulator, and of course you need the 70/ later isolated field alternator (often incorrectly called "dual field.) You can also use a Standard Motor Products VR-128 in place of your '60's regulator.

One problem with OVER charging is voltage drop in the ignition harness. Easy to check----

Turn key on, engine off. Put a meter on the battery positive post, the other probe on your IGN terminal on the regulator. You are hoping for a VERY low reading, lower than .2--.3V (2 TENTHS of a volt.) IF higher, you are "losing voltage." Your top suspects are the bulkhead connector, connector on the IGN switch, or the switch itself.

Next, check the ground integrity. To do that, start the engine on fast idle, put one probe on battery NEG and the other on the regulator mount frame. Be sure to stab through any rust, chrome, etc.

Again, you are hoping for a very low reading. Over .2V means the block/ body/ battery/ regulator are not truely grounded.

Last, with the battery "normalized" and the engine and regulator warm.,, check battery voltage right at the battery on a fast idle. Optimum is 13.8--14.2, allowable is 13.5--14.5. Anything over/ under means some amount of trouble.

Mike you don't necessarily need to go to the new style regulator, and of course you need the 70/ later isolated field alternator (often incorrectly called "dual field.) You can also use a Standard Motor Products VR-128 in place of your '60's regulator.

One problem with OVER charging is voltage drop in the ignition harness. Easy to check----

Turn key on, engine off. Put a meter on the battery positive post, the other probe on your IGN terminal on the regulator. You are hoping for a VERY low reading, lower than .2--.3V (2 TENTHS of a volt.) IF higher, you are "losing voltage." Your top suspects are the bulkhead connector, connector on the IGN switch, or the switch itself.

Next, check the ground integrity. To do that, start the engine on fast idle, put one probe on battery NEG and the other on the regulator mount frame. Be sure to stab through any rust, chrome, etc.

Again, you are hoping for a very low reading. Over .2V means the block/ body/ battery/ regulator are not truely grounded.

Last, with the battery "normalized" and the engine and regulator warm.,, check battery voltage right at the battery on a fast idle. Optimum is 13.8--14.2, allowable is 13.5--14.5. Anything over/ under means some amount of trouble.

I read this twice and I will check this out and get back to you John :eek:ops: it's that's the wrong name :sign3: some times Thank you for your time posting this :cheers:

-
Back