After market and ballast resistor question.

-

zigs

Reaction score
Rewiring my Dart with an Its a Snap wiring harness. Everything was going ok until i got to the coil. Mopar way went through the ballast resistor, new way is GM colors going through fuse block. My question .Do I need the resistor ? I know it can't take a constant 12v so do I need to wire to the resistor and then coil?. Just how would It be wired comming from the fuse block. I know this is probably easy but I've got myself so confused right now it dosen't make sence.

thanks zigs

Here's how Mopar ignition works, for years and years.

You have "dark blue" which is hot coming from the key in "run" known also as "igniton run" or IGN1"

This feeds one side of the ballast and also feeds off to the alternator field and regulator power

But when you START the car, you need hot 12V direct to the coil.

This is supplied by a SEPARATE circuit directly off the ignition switch, brown wire, known as "ign2" which BYPASSES the ballast during cranking. If your harness doesn't make room for this, you may have to add it "back in."

Your starter relay is yet ANOTHER separate circuit directly from the key, hot only when key is in "start." This wire energizes the start relay when the other terminal on the relay is grounded by the neutral safety switch (auto) by the clutch safety switch (newer stick cars) or is permanently grounded in older stick cars

Once again, your harness outfit, designed for "ferd 'n chivvys" just might not incorporate this, and you might have to add a wire off your switch.

Refer to your original diagrams for this, what do ya have?

If you don't have points or a stock coil, you don't need the resistor. With an aftermarket coil that doesn't come with a resistor, you don't need one. A 4 pin Mopar ignition box does not need the resistor either.

Not sure what your using for an ign system but here are diagrams we made up when we retired my car I used a AAW highway 22 kit. Basically a street rod kit. I used a stock style ign and charging system.

The wire colors will depend on your kit.

71DartIgnitionWiring.jpg

71DartChargingWiring.jpg

-
Back