Aftermarket Brake Upgrade

-

tgh717

Reaction score
Looking to replace F&R brakes on my 71 Dart 340 and go to BBP.. Currently have original disc on front and drum on back. Anyone have any recommendations based upon experience with aftermarket companies.
Thanks

Looking to replace F&R brakes on my 71 Dart 340 and go to BBP.. Currently have original disc on front and drum on back. Anyone have any recommendations based upon experience with aftermarket companies.
Thanks

Are your factory discs having issues? Rock Auto has everything for the factory K-H setup.

My factory 1971 Duster 340 has the factory 4 piston calipers and discs - they work great, as long as you use the car regularly and keep the brake fluid fresh and free of moisture. The front discs are available and inexpensive, and the calipers and hoses/lines are all available.

If you are choosing to move to the LBP, good advice already given to contact Dr.Diff. - great guy, and great service.

I have the original K-H front discs on my Barracuda. Is there a disc I can swap that will give me the BBP or do I have to change everything out?

Drg racr,

I have never heard of anyone mod'ing the K-H rotors & hubs for BBP, and may not be possible. Anyway, why molest such desireable parts? You can sell the whole K-H setup for >$100 on ebay. Local buyers are best due to shipping.

I think you will have to get the whole setup from a 1973+ disk car, incl. spindle and UCA. You can use your LCA. You can use your UCA if you get the special tapered bushing for the ball joint. One place sells that setup in new parts on ebay (>$500), otherwise junkyard (FMJ car spindles also work). I don't think you have the option of Scarebird or Wilwood conversions since those require a 9" or 10" drum spindle. Of course, you could convert to that from a JY car, but seems "wrong direction".

I went and fitted wilwood front and rear nice and easy came with everything other than hoses uses original master cylinder and can be either big or small bolt in the same kit

I went with the SSBC kit 153A which I wouldn't recommend. Price is high and you will need a lot of pedal force if you stay with manual brakes.

Thanks

I converted from my original KH front discs to a Wildwood setup. They work fantastic but know that you will need to get a set of drum spindles as well as drum lower ball joints because Willwood doesn't make a kit to go from KH to their discs.

I not 100% but I think if you can find a older 70's early 80's B,C,F, body with front 10.5" or 11" disc you can take that whole setup between the control arms and put it on the front of your car using doc diff upper ball joint spacers and the 73 and later lower ball joints. for the back I think any 10x2.5" Bbp off a 8.75" or 8.25" or even a 9.25" will work then just order hi strength axles with the green bearings from doc diff. Someone correct me if I'm off...

Forget my post #6, there is a sticky here on using K-H Mustang rotors & hubs to get BBP. That seems best if your current calipers are good.

-
Back