Aftermarket gauges

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Do you guys prefer when running aftermarket gauge sets. Manual or electronic gauges? And whats the difference?

I remember that mechanicals were more accurate back in the 1970s, but I don't know whether that holds true with today's electronics. I'm going electric because I don't want oil coming in the interior of the car. No fuel pressure gauge for me, either.

i always use to run mechanical, until a oil line broke on me in the glove box on a 99 eclipse awd turbo. at over 110 psi at 6k rpm, it was not a pretty site. took me 5 hrs to clean it all up!. never again. ill buy the copper line or just go electrical

I run Autometer liquid filled mechanical gauges in all my cars. I feel they are more accurate than the factory gauges. As said earlier, run the copper line for the oil pressure and make sure it has a few wraps close to the block, and also a good grommet where it goes through the firewall. As Dennis Miller always said, "that's my opinion, I could be wrong".

Bill S.

I remember that mechanicals were more accurate back in the 1970s, but I don't know whether that holds true with today's electronics. I'm going electric because I don't want oil coming in the interior of the car. No fuel pressure gauge for me, either.

ditto that!

all electric for me, programable speedo so if i change tire sizes i can just re-calibrate. mine are from speedhut and i love em!

Attachments

• 6-27-2011 055_1.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 290
  • 0621111843b (1).jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 274
I went electric except for oil pressure. I don't Like plastic or copper line so I went with the braided. the electric speedo because you can calibrate it in a few minutes when you change tires or gears. If I ever do it again ill go with a gps speedo..

Autometer says their electric guages are more accurate. Is it true? Who knows. I went electric because its easier to pull the dash panel if I have to. Just unplug the connector.

That makes sense Joe. Now when you guys say recalibrate does that mean it doesnt matter what little gear you have in the trans?

That makes sense Joe. Now when you guys say recalibrate does that mean it doesnt matter what little gear you have in the trans?

Exactly. For mine. I just set the car at a mile marker, set the speedo to calibrate , then drive two miles, stop and push a button and the speedo is set. No more buying those little gears. Mine is within a mph of my two gps units so I guess that's pretty good.

DSC_0283.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

Sweet maybe ill spend the extra $100 and get the programmable. ones. Im looking at the Dolphin gauges the hot rod series

Always used mechanical in the past. Used braided hose for the oil pressure, went thru the firewall with a bulkhead fitting.......

Joe did you make that harness or did it come with? Was it pretty much plug and go?

That harness came with the kit I used when I rewired my car. Basically it came with the terminals and connector and lengths of labled wires and we made it to fit what I had. Think you can buy a gauge harness like it from American auto wire.

can I ask what harness you used? I have an aftermarket harness but not sure if offers anything like that. That looks like it makes it pretty easy.

American autowire highway 22.

Yea it makes it a little cleaner and easier to work on if you ever need to get behind there.

You'll either pay at the begining or pay at the end. All those connectors and terminals really add up fast. In the grand scheme if things its not expensive at all. Look how easy it is to spend twice as much in a set of gauges.

Mechanical water and oil and Speedo, Electric everything else

I went with all digital electronic. I still need air/fuel. but I think I will be going with a different manufacturer for that. I found one with a data logging set up and program for $200.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo396.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Photo397.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 189
-
Back