aftermarket radio install? kits available?

-

67cudaResto89

Reaction score
I'm looking to install a new stereo in my car because I just can't take listening to the disney channel any longer. I was wondering if there are any kits or wiring harnesess pre made to switch over to a new style radio.? Thanks!

Trouble is gonna be getting a radio to fit in the existing holes. 68 is even harder with the rectangular knob holes.

I am in the same boat here - radio quandry.

Pretty much just need to wire it up yourself. If your looking to not cut up the dash to fit suggestions I have seen on this site is under the dash under the seat and what I did in mine in the glove box. If you search for it on this site you will find many ideas. There aren't any wire harnesses that you can buy that I know of.

Search FABO. I know there is at least one later post than above, since I contributed.

Search "HD Tuner" on ebay. I got ~$15 each for my two 60's cars. An after-market add-on when HD first came out ~10 yrs ago. Originally >$100, but cheap surplus now. Several models, but all have a thin faceplace w/ cord ~12"L that goes to a small base unit. You must figure a way to mount it to your dash (maybe Velcro), but FABO guys are resourceful. Some have an above-dash holder, like a GPS, but that is for newbies.

Output is 2 RCA plugs. You need a stereo amp to drive the speakers. Most would bury that, but if you want it visible (so you can turn it off), you might use a thin equalizer/amp. I haven't installed mine yet, so don't quote/blame me. Just an idea.

I was thinking about under the dash on the glove box side. I don't want to cut the dash up at all since the car is 100% original. Under the seat ight work as well because ill never actualy use the radio or cd portion I just need an aux to plug my ipod in..so something with a remote would prob help also.

I'm really liking that retrosound stereo it looks stock and it has the aux port for the ipod..think that'll be my anniversary present from the misses lol..its not like its gna be heard over the exhaust anyway...lol

there are several companies that make retro fitting radios with modern guts,,or hidden units with a remote,,seen several of them on my classic car,, do a google search,,

I'm looking to install a new stereo in my car...
While you're at it, you might consider one of my DUAL-SPEAKER BRACKETS so you can add a pair of quality speakers under your dash for that new stereo.

Also, take a look at http://www.customautosound.com and see if one of their Secret Audio systems might suit you. You can install these in the glove box or under a seat and leave your old radio in place for an original look.

Jerry

Attachments

• A,B, and E-body brackets.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 435
I was going to go with secret audio, but then I read some of their reviews and decided against it.

Most stations in urban areas transmit HD radio now, I understand. If you see the song info on a newer car's radio (post ~2002), it is HD. If a station doesn't transmit HD, the tuner picks up the regular transmission. The main complaint I read was that the radio sometimes switches between the two, but that was the station's fault, which is probably fixed since those reviews were >5 yrs ago.

My 65 Dart has a very small trapezoidal opening for the radio, with two knob holes. Not much would fit thru the hole and I don't plan to hack my dash up. The HD radio panel is only ~1/8" thick so should install on the front of the dash without looking clunky. If the Crutchfield or any of the "secret radios" work, go for it, but too big bucks for me. My 65 Newport had a later Audiovox digital radio installed when I bought it. That was one of the last regular after-market ones with knobs (~1989), but wouldn't fit my Dart.

Before I found the HD tuners, I was thinking of using a motorcyle or boat radio and hiding it, with my bulky factory radio installed just to complete the dash. Those cost ~$40 on ebay. They say that HD makes AM sound like FM and FM sound as good as a CD, but haven't tried it yet.

Trouble is gonna be getting a radio to fit in the existing holes. 68 is even harder with the rectangular knob holes.

I am in the same boat here - radio quandry.

The lower dash pads in the 68 forced the creation of the dum wheel radio.
There isn't adiquate space for a hand to turn knobs.
See the solution at DeMonDIN.
The wiiring is already there. Fused radio power and illumination are the red and orange to the factory radio. The power for the aftermarket radios memory is the yellow wire that feeds the door jamb switches. It is found in the taped harness along the bottom of the dash.
The 4 wires to rear speakers can be speaker wire. I use trailer harness wire. It's flat, easy to hide, 4 leads of different colors.

Care to give us a review of it ?

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Bout Time!!
Has anyone used retrosound for a receiver?http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/133

Yes, I have and these are total JUNK. They look nice once installed but they don't last for crap. My first one, yes I am on my second one, didn't last but may a week or two then it quit, Retro sent a replacement and that lasted about 10 usages and now it doesn't even turn on. I said usages because I only drive my car about 10-20 times a year due to always doing things, brake conversion, new crate engine, gear changes etc. So the radion hasn't seen 20 hours of use and it is crap.
Stay awayfrom them, IMHO. :wack:

Try this thread on electronics there are a few responses about retrosound. They look good but aren't worth the price. I have the second one in my dash for a filler, it lasted about as long as this reply. $300.00

Most stations in urban areas transmit HD radio now, I understand. If you see the song info on a newer car's radio (post ~2002), it is HD. If a station doesn't transmit HD, the tuner picks up the regular transmission. The main complaint I read was that the radio sometimes switches between the two, but that was the station's fault, which is probably fixed since those reviews were >5 yrs ago.

My 65 Dart has a very small trapezoidal opening for the radio, with two knob holes. Not much would fit thru the hole and I don't plan to hack my dash up. The HD radio panel is only ~1/8" thick so should install on the front of the dash without looking clunky. If the Crutchfield or any of the "secret radios" work, go for it, but too big bucks for me. My 65 Newport had a later Audiovox digital radio installed when I bought it. That was one of the last regular after-market ones with knobs (~1989), but wouldn't fit my Dart.

Before I found the HD tuners, I was thinking of using a motorcyle or boat radio and hiding it, with my bulky factory radio installed just to complete the dash. Those cost ~$40 on ebay. They say that HD makes AM sound like FM and FM sound as good as a CD, but haven't tried it yet.

local stations advertise they are on HD,, they make it sound like you get a better or different selection of music from there non HD program,,,,i use sirius in my every day driver,,,,and ill keep it as long as i can,,,,great selection of music,,and no commericals,,,

Maybe it is best to leave the original radio where it is and get an Hd tuner that has preamp outputs.
add an amp and hide the speakers.
the HD head units are quite small and inexpensive and some of them have analog tuners in them.

I'm trying to hook up a MP3 player/i-Pod to a stand alone amp I got on eBay in the 66 Cuda. Will take pictures if i am happy with it. It should be small enough to hide and I want to use 2 6 x 9 Infinity speakers from a late model Chrysler. So far it sounds pretty good. That way I don't have to mess with my radio and have all my favorite music using digital memory only.

The PO of my car already cut the dash. I bought new parts so if I decide to go back to stock, I can. That way I get the best of both worlds. I recommend the front speaker brackets. I put in some 3.5 Infinity Kappa in mine and 6 X 9 Infinity Kappa in the rear. The sound is phenomenal. I was going to add a huge amp, but with my Alpine head unit, it is way loud and sounds great. Have to rethink the amp!

The lower dash pads in the 68 forced the creation of the dum wheel radio.
There isn't adiquate space for a hand to turn knobs.
See the solution at DeMonDIN.
The wiiring is already there. Fused radio power and illumination are the red and orange to the factory radio. The power for the aftermarket radios memory is the yellow wire that feeds the door jamb switches. It is found in the taped harness along the bottom of the dash.
The 4 wires to rear speakers can be speaker wire. I use trailer harness wire. It's flat, easy to hide, 4 leads of different colors.

Hmmmm, interesting. I like the larger padded dash of the 68 over the 67.

They sell speaker mount kick panels at YearOne. Anyone ever try those?

kpa763.a.jpg

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?input=speaker+kick+panel&SM=1&SC=1

The PO of my car already cut the dash. I bought new parts so if I decide to go back to stock, I can. That way I get the best of both worlds. I recommend the front speaker brackets. I put in some 3.5 Infinity Kappa in mine and 6 X 9 Infinity Kappa in the rear. The sound is phenomenal. I was going to add a huge amp, but with my Alpine head unit, it is way loud and sounds great. Have to rethink the amp!

i like your infinity speaker idea,,,did you get them out at a junk yard or over the counter?? great idea,,, i made my own dual speaker mount to go where the stock AM speaker in the dash was years ago,,,, i have 2 small speakers there not great but way better then it was,,and 2 speaker boxes behind the front seats in front of the wheel tubs., a old in dash am/fm casette post mounted radio shack radio that my dad had laying around,,and a cheapy 100watt EG and a loud exhaust

I found the speakers I wanted, then bought them cheaper on eBay. I actually bought 2 -3.5" and 2- 6 X 9 Infinity Kappa, I had a Kenwood 12" sub, bought an Alpine head unit and a Polk Audio 2200w 5 channel amp all for around $900. I put the 6 X 9's in speaker boxes behind the rear seat in my Dart Sport. Got some pics of the front speaker bracket.

It's easier to do when your dash looks like this! I was installing a new dash pad.
View attachment Dash pad install 1.jpg

Speaker bracket with new speakers. Also OE speaker to compare.
View attachment New speaker mount 1.jpg
View attachment New speaker mount.jpg

-
Back