Aftermarket seats yay or nay

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
I was wondering if it is a good idea or a bad idea installing aftermarket seats. I've been kicking idea around on aftermarket seats. Another words if I install these seats would be like "Oh he shouldn't have done that they don't match the rear seat" or would it be "Oh man those are sweet... looks good in the car"

My 67 cuda isn't factory looking at all. It has Weld Prostar wheels and 70 cuda stripe down the side. Interior has Auto gauges installed in the dash and pistol grip four speed shifter.

The stock seats are very uncomfortable to me. I have them adjusted where my feet can work the clutch and brake just fine. However I slide down towards the floor board and have to readjust myself with just normal driving. Thinking about adding "blocks" to the front of the seats to kick them back some. Don't know how that would look however.

Anyone got aftermarket seats?
Advice or ideas... thanks.

I was wondering if it is a good idea or a bad idea installing aftermarket seats. I've been kicking idea around on aftermarket seats. Another words if I install these seats would be like "Oh he shouldn't have done that they don't match the rear seat" or would it be "Oh man those are sweet... looks good in the car"

My 67 cuda isn't factory looking at all. It has Weld Prostar wheels and 70 cuda stripe down the side. Interior has Auto gauges installed in the dash and pistol grip four speed shifter.

The stock seats are very uncomfortable to me. I have them adjusted where my feet can work the clutch and brake just fine. However I slide down towards the floor board and have to readjust myself with just normal driving. Thinking about adding "blocks" to the front of the seats to kick them back some. Don't know how that would look however.

Do it to it.:D
These are Recaro Sport 11 way adjustables out of a 91 BMW 325i that I had recovered in the two tone.
I did have to build my own attaching brackets from the sliders to the floor since the BMW has a totally flat floor, and the Darts SOOO don't.
One thing I really like about these is that they move forward about 6 inches when you tilt them to get in the back seat and the return to where they were when the seat back is leaned back again.
Make a HUGE opening for getting in the back seat, and believe it or not I put an entire bathroom throne in the back seat and it was even still in it's box. :D

seats1.jpg

DSCF0005.JPG

i think it all depends on how much you care about what others think. I say make the car your own, if you like the look and the comfort of aftermarket seats i say go for it. i think its a mixed bag in the community of people that like them vs people that do not approve. Me personally i put a more modern style race seat in the car (which i dont think were received well among the group....lol). for one my entire interior was red and i did not like it. so i changed carpet, pulled out the factory seats (front and rear) and now just have the new seats in the front, support and comfort-ability wise they are great. I initially wasnt going to do an aftermarket seat in the barracuda but my dad was in a bad accident a few months ago and i started looking at how unsafe the lapbelt and the old seats would be in a similar impact. so now i have 3point seat belt an braum racing seats. anyways, alotta typing for me to say do it! LOL

i think it all depends on how much you care about what others think. I say make the car your own, if you like the look and the comfort of aftermarket seats i say go for it. i think its a mixed bag in the community of people that like them vs people that do not approve. Me personally i put a more modern style race seat in the car (which i dont think were received well among the group....lol). for one my entire interior was red and i did not like it. so i changed carpet, pulled out the factory seats (front and rear) and now just have the new seats in the front, support and comfort-ability wise they are great. I initially wasnt going to do an aftermarket seat in the barracuda but my dad was in a bad accident a few months ago and i started looking at how unsafe the lapbelt and the old seats would be in a similar impact. so now i have 3point seat belt an braum racing seats. anyways, alotta typing for me to say do it! LOL

I really appreciate your post.
You're dead on about safety. My seats don't have headrests and if I get hit from behind my neck will snap backwards. That can't be good. Hopefully it will knock me out so I won't kill the SOB that just hit me... lol
That's all I have is a lap belt and stock seats.

I've always been of the thinking, "Your car, your way." But he can say one thing for sure! No matter what it is you do, there is always some bird chirping on what you should have done or what they would have done because it would have been better or look cooler or be worth more or ....

Personally I hate those comments & they drive me crazy. So I just say, "Well, go do it to your car then!"

Just yesterday I had a 20 something tell me I should have LS'd my Magnum and made it a drag car with a snear. I just giggled out loud and started a convo on the matter. By the time I was nearly done with him, he was running and ducking for cover.

Put whatever seats make you comfortable .
It's your car your way your ***, back ,and neck !
You might 've able to save some coin if you find seats from a modern car used at a wrecking yard ?

In my '68, I was concerned with the lack of any head/neck support in case of a a collision from the rear. I went on-line and found US Racing Seats. They have a lot of options, but I went for the 1 inch wider Corbeau leather seats. They even carried the mounting brackets for my car. I did cut them down about an inch and weld them back up with slightly more recline.

Everyone who has sat in the car loves them, and they look like they belong there. Eventually, I'm having my upholstery shop finish off the door panels, build and cover a center console and recover the rear seat and panels in matching leather.

Seats (Large).JPG

I really appreciate your post.
You're dead on about safety. My seats don't have headrests and if I get hit from behind my neck will snap backwards. That can't be good. Hopefully it will knock me out so I won't kill the SOB that just hit me... lol
That's all I have is a lap belt and stock seats.

Just in case you were curious :p (pics taken before seatbelt install, removed all panels to be painted soon hopefully)
20170430_190528.jpg

I did 96 sebring seats in mine (front and rear so they match), I got power seat, they lay back and go forwards to let someone in the rear (not very likely but you never know.) AND integrated seatbelts. my car is a convertible so everything was a close fit. I don't know about the sedan sebring seats fit for your car. my wife wanted seatbelts for the grandkids when they rode in the car with us.

DSCF2878.JPG
DSCF2882.jpg
DSCF2883.jpg

Just ordered these for our 69 Fastback Project. Comfort, Support, Safety, Good Looks.
brZuJRB6-c9nuE8Vf7Ir0v4KCoRjHwGkmQsbZBarTtMlt58NvuywPCJZgaNH8k7y0r4SZLl_GI1a3stZcZY_xjA=s1000-no.jpg

They will be much better than these ever were or ever could be...
Will have the rears covered to go with the fronts.
Buh Bye Green interior.
ADaoBgRp-X-s-3F-VdDZX7Wh0ZhvVEULGilyQ4OwLcjnPWsjvUX8Wz4s9ZsrskItu5j4-dAIcAUzlvA9A=w3175-h1785-no.jpg

From an aesthetic perspective, aftermarket seats are fine, but it needs to be a total package to reduce the cringe factor.
Original steering wheels, dash and gauge clusters, door panels etc, are all very angular and dated appearing when you introduce a modern looking seat to the package.
Scale is another factor. Most modern and aftermarket seats are significantly larger than the ones originally fitted to these cars.
The effect is that everything around those seats will look too scaled down to maintain good proportions.
But, like has been said a zillion times, it's your car...do whatever makes you happy with it, and ignore the critics

If you can tie them in to the rest of the interior go for it.
Ya gotta be comfy. I would go the wrecking yard route and see what is out there.

I've got a set of Summit sport seats in my Duster. MUCH more comfortable than the stock stuff and mine are just the cheap vinyl stuff. The only thing that sticks out to me is how wide the seats are at the top, it definitely changes the look. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, just depends on your personal preference.

IMG_5535_zps7c66e9f9.jpg

I've got a set of Summit sport seats in my Duster. MUCH more comfortable than the stock stuff and mine are just the cheap vinyl stuff. The only thing that sticks out to me is how wide the seats are at the top, it definitely changes the look. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, just depends on your personal preference.

View attachment 1715052088
I like those. ...they comfortable!
Do you have a part number for them?

Jeff

I like those. ...they comfortable!
Do you have a part number for them?

Jeff

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1159-2

They're pretty comfortable. They have some plastic parts I'm not super impressed with like some of the adjuster and hinge covers and such, a few pieces have popped off mine. But I bought mine used so I'm not sure how old they are or what kind of treatment they got before I had them, I don't think they were cared for very well before I got them.

For the price I think they're a heck of a deal, but there are definitely higher quality seats out there. Eventually I'd like to get something with a leather cover. The price is pretty hard to beat though!

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1159-2

They're pretty comfortable. They have some plastic parts I'm not super impressed with like some of the adjuster and hinge covers and such, a few pieces have popped off mine. But I bought mine used so I'm not sure how old they are or what kind of treatment they got before I had them, I don't think they were cared for very well before I got them.

For the price I think they're a heck of a deal, but there are definitely higher quality seats out there. Eventually I'd like to get something with a leather cover. The price is pretty hard to beat though!
That is a great price...!
Thanks!

Jeff

GOOD GRIEF! Trailbeast those look really good... all the luxuries as well. :thumbsup:

Thank you.
I was fortunate enough to be able to fit the original seats that came out of my Wife's BMW when her Brother bought new ones for her, so I already had a good idea of how they were going to fit and what was going to be needed to mount them.

-
Back