Aftermarket steering wheel?

-

MidnightSwinger

Reaction score
Anyone got an aftermarket steering wheel on their early A? The '66 Darts wheel is trashed, looking to replace it with something a little thicker.

Just a comment... Small diameter steering wheels are not user friendly unless you have power steering.

Even though I have power steering, that skinnyass wheel cramped my hands. Plus it was cracked. I filled the crack with steel putty, then sanded.
My cheapass solution was, slit a length of black 5/8 heater hose, wrap around the wheel and cover with a nice leather wheel cover. Barely noticable.

Attachments

• new car pics 005.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 584
Just a comment... Small diameter steering wheels are not user friendly unless you have power steering.

Ive got manual steering in the dart, but I can one hand it no problem with the stock wheel. I do see how it could have an effect on the turns lock to lock, but this is a driver, with no performance driving whatsoever.

Thanks for the pics guys, but I am looking for info on early 63-66 A's

GT wheel on my 64 Valiant

image_zps6786f821.jpg

I had a Grant wood tri-spoke wheel on my car. I loved it except for two things: 1: wood and aluminum get CRAZY hot in the sun. 2: The horn button popped off and locked the horn on, then I remembered that you shouldn't grab a wire on a closed circuit while driving on the interstate (or ever, really).

Also, I didn't have power steering and never had a problem muscling the car around. Of course, I have a Slant car. The wheel wasn't much smaller than the original. I'd be putting it back on if I hadn't found a really nice '65 Barracuda wheel to replace it. I love the Valiant logo horn buttons on those wheels.

I had a Grant wood tri-spoke wheel on my car. I loved it except for two things: 1: wood and aluminum get CRAZY hot in the sun. 2: The horn button popped off and locked the horn on, then I remembered that you shouldn't grab a wire on a closed circuit while driving on the interstate (or ever, really).

Also, I didn't have power steering and never had a problem muscling the car around. Of course, I have a Slant car. The wheel wasn't much smaller than the original. I'd be putting it back on if I hadn't found a really nice '65 Barracuda wheel to replace it. I love the Valiant logo horn buttons on those wheels.

Good advice:D I hear you on the wood/aluminum getting hot. My car sits outside in the TX heat,so im going to stick with a synthetic grip. I really like the grant tuff wheel knock off.

summit racing has a deal on a 3 spoke black foam 5" dish and i think it's an 8" wheel.25$...i run one in my demon with manual steering and it's great.

I also run one on my truck with power steering.here's a pic of it.
the one on my demon sounds the horn sometimes when I'm turning..butt so far the button stays on.

Attachments

• 2013-07-11 13.02.17.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 503
Seriously, actual burns on my hands. I'll miss it. Loved the look of the wheel, and when the weather was nice, it felt great. (Insert wood in hands joke here.)

I cannot stress making sure the horn button is securely fastened enough.

2: The horn button popped off and locked the horn on, then I remembered that you shouldn't grab a wire on a closed circuit while driving on the interstate (or ever, really).

Hahahahah... I had a Grant steering wheel on my Camaro, the horn button popped off several times!! I think I woke whole neighbourhood up!!

you will be amazed at the difference between a 14" wheel and a 16" wheel (w/o ps), and that 8" wheel has to be a joke, right?

you will be amazed at the difference between a 14" wheel and a 16" wheel (w/o ps), and that 8" wheel has to be a joke, right?

The 8" is a little small for my taste.

Is the difference you mention the effort or turn lock to lock? If its effort, im not worried about it, im 6'1 260 with the upper body strength to match, right now I can one hand parallel park with ease.

I'm not that big and I drive with the 8" wheel just fine...no joke.even the cop that gave me a ticket the other night said something about my tiny wheel.

heard they were so you could drive with handcuffs on.

Not an early A, but shows you what the Grant wheel looks like. I have the foam grip one that I dyed to match the interior. Seems to be holding up well. This is the 15" diameter one. I'm usin the Plymouth center horn button. They offer a Mopar one also.
wheelinstall.jpg

interior1.jpg

I'm not that big and I drive with the 8" wheel just fine...no joke.even the cop that gave me a ticket the other night said something about my tiny wheel.

heard they were so you could drive with handcuffs on.

Hahaha yep! Not sure why everyone worries about going with a smaller wheel. I don't have trouble with the manual steering at all,plus I hate this big *** thin handled wheel.

That looks great! Did you used the grant install kit? Pretty straight forward easy? Awesome car man.

Thank you.

Not sure about the install kit as the steering was on the car when I bought it. But I just recently took the whole thing apart as the previous owner broke the turn signal lever.

Here is the thread with the fix so you can see it all apart. Lots of pics.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=250919

-
Back