again, why can't we have this here?

-
Always loved the Wayfarer utes and Safari wagons, especially the VEs and VFs. Chrysler USA really missed the boat by not offering those, not to mention the VH/VJ Chargers (and Hemi 6s)...
Can you imagine the wagon or pickup all decked out with the GTS hood and side stripe? And factory 340/383 running gear?

Yep, too bad we didn't have Utes. The Ford Rancheros and GM El Camino's were moderately popular. But as far as the numbers, only moderately popular. Good thing is they shared a lot of the sheet metal with similar car models. Heck, even DeSoto had utes as well as Chrysler and Plymouth.

desoto ute.jpg

I've thought about it from time to time, I think a lot of what it comes down to is climate and terrain. Australia compared to North America is flat, hot and dry. The need for vehicles with 4WD and high ground clearance isn't as great as in North America where we get significant amounts of snow and there are a lot more hills and mountains overall.

Not to mention Americans have always generally had a "Bigger = Better" mentality so big pickup trucks are more appealing than a mid-size or compact car with the back chopped off and a pickup bed added. Our fuel prices are on average lower as well so why not buy a gas-guzzling full-size pickup? Lol

On the subject of Rancheros and El Caminos, they are super cool but I can't recall ever seeing one with a load in the bed (although I'm only 31, haven't been around all that long). They seem like more of a novelty in this country than a practical vehicle that actually gets used.

Video: Racing Dad’s Ute at Mopar Sunday!

do the tail lights look like Barracuda? or would a Valiant make a better Ute because the tail lights are thinner? fun to dream or maybe just move to Australia?
I believe the VEs had the Barracuda-like taillights, the VFs had a more Valiant style- at least on the wagons, I think the utes were similar.
VE-wagon-rear.jpg

VG-Safari-Wagon-(1).jpg

-
Back