Not open for further replies.

George R

Mopar Nutcase
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hi guys.
I have an air filter cover, or housing, from a 65 Chrysler 300 with the 413 engine, and I'd like to use it on my 440 but I don't have a base for it. Does anyone have an air filter base that is about 8" to 10" in diameter? I actually need it to be about 9", but if it's within 8"-10" I can make it work. It's got to fit a Holley 4 barrel carb.
Please let me know what you have.
Thanks in advance.

George

Lets sort this out. The normal 65 a.c. (single snorkle) has a 4" afb hole on a base about 16" across with a filter base of about 13". Where does 8 -9 ' come from as a dim? the 67 full size car with a Holley 5" hole still has similar dims 16" across and 13" filter base. The unsilenced base is still the 13" size.

Clarify what you are doing and perhaps some one with the set up will come forward.

Sounds simple to me, he wants a air cleaner base at a approx. diamention he listed and isn't picky about it.

Lets sort this out. The normal 65 a.c. (single snorkle) has a 4" afb hole on a base about 16" across with a filter base of about 13". Where does 8 -9 ' come from as a dim? the 67 full size car with a Holley 5" hole still has similar dims 16" across and 13" filter base. The unsilenced base is still the 13" size.

Clarify what you are doing and perhaps some one with the set up will come forward.
Hmmmmm. I thought the air filter housing I took off a junkyard 65 300L was stock. Maybe it isn't.
Well, let me try to explain it this way........ it looks identical to the stock one from a 69 340, only difference is that it's only 11" in diameter. It has no snorkel, and has one hose nipple for the crank case vent. It is identical in every way to the 340 filter housing, but smaller.
Does that help any?
Thanks for the info by the way!

George

Sounds very much like the 273 stock cover. So they came with the afb 4 barrel base. Not easy to find solo. Did not come in AVS Holley base pattern.

Go down to the parts store & pick up one of those cheapo 10" chrome air cleaners.
Scrap the top and use the base. It works great on those 11" unsilenced cleaners.

Sounds very much like the 273 stock cover. So they came with the afb 4 barrel base. Not easy to find solo. Did not come in AVS Holley base pattern.
Now that you mention it, the 300L did have an AFB carb on it.

Go down to the parts store & pick up one of those cheapo 10" chrome air cleaners.
Scrap the top and use the base. It works great on those 11" unsilenced cleaners.
I guess thats what I'll have to do. Shame to buy a new air cleaner just for the base, but it will be too much work for me to fabricate one when a new one is cheap enough.
Question, will there be enough clearance around the filter with a 10" base and an 11" housing? It's on a 440 with a mild solid cam and a big Holley carb.

Thanks for the history lesson guys. Appreciated.

George

Now that you mention it, the 300L did have an AFB carb on it.

I guess thats what I'll have to do. Shame to buy a new air cleaner just for the base, but it will be too much work for me to fabricate one when a new one is cheap enough.
Question, will there be enough clearance around the filter with a 10" base and an 11" housing? It's on a 440 with a mild solid cam and a big Holley carb.

Thanks for the history lesson guys. Appreciated.

George
George,
I use the 10" base on a street car with no problem. Be careful of the air filter. The tall stock filter may cause hood clearance issues. The filter you get with the "cheapo" works well. Also, you can get the cheap air cleaners in smaller sizes. I seem to remember seeing a 6" or so one at the parts store.
Good luck.

George,
I use the 10" base on a street car with no problem. Be careful of the air filter. The tall stock filter may cause hood clearance issues. The filter you get with the "cheapo" works well. Also, you can get the cheap air cleaners in smaller sizes. I seem to remember seeing a 6" or so one at the parts store.
Good luck.
Thanks brotha! The car has a fiberglass 6PAK hood on it so clearance isn't an issue.
I looked at Autozone today, and the only ones that had that will fit my application were almost $30. Too rich for me for just a base.
I might have to wait until I can hit a swapmeet. A used piece a junk air cleaner is what I'm really looking for. I can use the base from it with my housing, and toss the beat up chrome top in the trash.

Thanks again guys.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back