Air cleaner?

-

moparstud440

Reaction score
Have a 71 duster with a 360. Currently the car has the stock hood with no scoop and I don't want to cut the hood. I'm looking at ways to increase the amount of air that is force thru the carb (a holley 750DP). Currently the car has no air cleaner on at all, I was thinking about a dual snorkel air cleaner, but am not sure of how to run the tubes out to the front, because there isn't alot of space. What are some things you guys have done to help? Pics would be great. Thanks.

Running without an air cleaner on a street car is a good way to ruin your engine.

Go get one of those inexpensive chrome air cleaners (at least).

The "Ram Air" affect you are looking for really doesn't do much.

Go get one of those inexpensive chrome air cleaners (at least).

The "Ram Air" affect you are looking for really doesn't do much.

Agrred. However, theres a air cleaner that runs the tubes to help get cooler air from under the car. On race rides, racers remove the headlights. Though not an option for your street ride, taking air from under the bumper is about the best you can do and you will have to get creative.

If you don't mind moving your battery to the trunk there is a good hole all ready there for fresh air and posative presure :happy10:
By all means run a filter or you will be sucking dust and butterflies through your butterflies in your carb :-D
I am looking for a picture

I Bought A New 69 Barracuda 340 Formula S. In Oct. Of 1968. A Friend Of Mine Was A Sheetmetal Man. I Asked Him To Make Under The Bumper Scoops And He Made Them Huge. It Made A Big Diference In The Quarter Mile. When I Get My 67 Fastback On The Road I Will Put Then On It.

Check this out. I think it is what you are looking for.

http://www.ramairbox.com/product.html

That's the one I was thinking about. This is the set up!

Year corect breather!! Hear is a 71 dual snorkel that looks REAL nice and you could run square air lines to it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPA...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Mike, I'm not sure if this is what he wanted, but that is an excellent unit for the more stock-ish ride. Nice link though.

I wouldn't run w/o an air cleaner on the street or the track. Engines are too expensive. It might be faster with a good one, anyhow.
I want to do a cowl-induction kind of deal. There was a 72 Duster in Hot Rod a few years back that had one. I like the flat hood look.

The cowl vent slots at the base of the windshield is a great place to pick up high-pressure air - same place where GM-style cowl hoods and NASCAR cars pick up their carb air.
To keep a flat hood look, you could route hoses from both driver and passenger ends of firewall above the pinch weld to a ramairbox-type air cleaner housing. I've thought about this and may do it if I go with a powerbulge hood on my '69 Dart. You'll want to keep your hose connections above the floor of the cowl so any rain/wash water will keep on draining to the ground rather than running through the air hoses into your carb.

This is the RamAirbox system in my '68 Dart GT with a 383 Big-Block.

Hood is from a OEM Dart GTS.

Carb is a Holley 750 sitting on top of an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold. There are no clearance problems .

I got the "Ram Air" kit purely as a Cold Air Induction system. It works well.

The difference was noticeable. Acceleration response was increased, and in fact the car felt, immediately after the retrofit, as any car acts when driving on a slight downhill. It just went slightly farther with less effort at the Accelerator pedal

Here's some pics:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/blndyhb/MomAuntTinaandUncleJohnny001.jpg?t=1250884142

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/blndyhb/MomAuntTinaandUncleJohnny003.jpg?t=1250883940

This is the RamAirbox system in my '68 Dart GT with a 383 Big-Block.

Hood is from a OEM Dart GTS.

Carb is a Holley 750 sitting on top of an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold. There are no clearance problems .

I got the "Ram Air" kit purely as a Cold Air Induction system. It works well.

The difference was noticeable. Acceleration response was increased, and in fact the car felt, immediately after the retrofit, as any car acts when driving on a slight downhill. It just went slightly farther with less effort at the Accelerator pedal

Here's some pics:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/blndyhb/MomAuntTinaandUncleJohnny001.jpg?t=125088414

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/blndyhb/MomAuntTinaandUncleJohnny003.jpg?t=1250883940

Very cool setup.

The cowl vent slots at the base of the windshield is a great place to pick up high-pressure air - same place where GM-style cowl hoods and NASCAR cars pick up their carb air.
To keep a flat hood look, you could route hoses from both driver and passenger ends of firewall above the pinch weld to a ramairbox-type air cleaner housing. I've thought about this and may do it if I go with a powerbulge hood on my '69 Dart. You'll want to keep your hose connections above the floor of the cowl so any rain/wash water will keep on draining to the ground rather than running through the air hoses into your carb.
I have to give GM credit for that one. I'm going to go that way. It's a 74 Dart Sport cloned to A 70-71 Duster, so I'm not cutting anything valuable.

i would run an air cleaner.

I have tested mine with / without ...... and $3 paper vs $30 fancy filter .

Runs the same with all . Why not protect your engine.

i would run an air cleaner.

I have tested mine with / without ...... and $3 paper vs $30 fancy filter .

Runs the same with all . Why not protect your engine.

really?

I have to buy myself an air cleaner for my soon to be daily driven 340 and was thinking of getting a good K and N unit, but i wasnt really sure how well they work in regards to picking up power...my dad runs a paper filter on his big block dart and he tells me theres no difference...this info helps show once again dad is almost always right lol....cheap paper filter it is for me

Guzimke, If You Put Them Under The Bumper You Will Feel A Lot More Power.

I thought about running the system that way originally, but then again, I had a "space" problem running the Ducts down under the bumper...I don't have a lot of room in the engine compartment with a 383 in a Dart..the ducts are 3" diameter and I didn't want to flatten them..

Also, the longer length needed for the ducts, plus the extra bends needed on those same ducts would negate a lot of the gains...Supposedly you lose about 25% of any initial gain for every 90 degrees of bend...

And last,with my car being a daily driver, I was worried about feeding a lot of road debris into the carb.

For me, it just made better sense to place it where it is..

If it was a Race Only car, I'd pull the headlights and run the ducts there.

-
Back