Air compresor outside OK?

-

nates68

Reaction score
Hey, I picked up an 80 gal upright 5hp 2 stage air comp. since my 30 gal oil-less is the loudest useless piece of junk ever made. I really would like the extra space in the garage (and the new compressor is HUGE) so I am going to pour a cement pad behind the garage and build a small shed. It doesen't get too cold here in the Tacoma, WA area but just wanted some input on the best way to go about this. I will need to run the 240v wiring out to it and was thinking of having a switch in the garage so I don't have to go outside everytime I want to use it.

Thanks
Nates68

Most of the body shops around here have them outside with a shut off inside. Just remember to drain the water out on a regular basis. If you insulate the shed it keeps the noise down as well.
~Michael

X2 what Dartman said... outside in a covered little shed is not much different than in an unheated shop! Main thing is you want to keep it dry and not get overheated i nthe summer by being in a small enclosure.... Also want it secure so someone doesn't come along and try to steal it!

might want to install it on those big rubber isolators so it doesnt shake the walls when running and doesnt shake itself apart after years of solid mounting.

Most likely OK if it doesn't get too cold. Here in NY my air compressor won't turn over in cold weather untill I run a propane torch on the cylinders otherwise it just pops breakers.

Here is how I did mine, Compressor outside 5HP 80 gal, 230 V 1PH switch inside shop next to panel due to prior planning. Works good year around.

Attachments

• AirCompInst 001.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 277
  • AirCompInst 002.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 256
A simple mod is to add an automatic drain to the bottom fitting on the tank. It takes 120v and can be set to how often it drains just a little out of the tank. Rubber pads made for air compressors are great. Make you have a flex hose between tank ouitlet and the piping.
Wish I had one that cool!!!

Don't need a switch, just flip the breaker. I'd install some air driers in the lines to filter moisture.

Yep rubber insulaters on feet i used wood with rubber fatigue mat pieces and good concrete lag bolts and a rubber lead hose like in pic above. They produce heat so in warm weather you want it to breath if you insulate the shed. Insulation should be sealed off so it doesnt get sucked into fans. If you do build shed make enough room for you to get to all sides of your compressor freely to service or repair you will thanks your self and you can store tools in it if need be. I put my air tools near it so iam forced to inspect it. Theres my 2 pennies worth

Good advice all! Desert Rat, hows that Puma? Same brand as the one I just bought so just wondering on the quality. I will have it next to the garage so really only need a roof and 2 posts to make a shed, leave the top foot open all around or put louvered vents. Yes I will put some pads under it and the breaker is inside the house so I either need a sub panel or a HD switch.
OK I will start on the cement this weekend!

Use some hockey pucks for the feet insulators....they work great and won't deteriorate in the weather. Just have to drill a hole thru 'em.

Nate: I researched compressors until I got a migrain before settling on the Puma. The final driver being the three cylinders and rating. I finished all my body and paint with it and it never ran out of air or pressure, even running my POS inefficient DA sander. I am happy with it!
MVR: Not to be critical but I am an electrician and it is a bad idea to use the breaker to the feeder circuit to start/stop a load. Every time you flip the breaker it weakens it a little more. (not wanting to start anything here, please)
Here are a couple more photos from inside the shop just for grins:)

Attachments

• AirCompInst 003.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 177
  • AirCompInst 005.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 176
Not to be critical but I am an electrician and it is a bad idea to use the breaker to the feeder circuit to start/stop a load. Every time you flip the breaker it weakens it a little more.

Excellent advice!!! The small independent repair shop where I used to work did that. Every night he would kill power to the compressor at the breaker. Worked okay for a year but then every time the compressor would turn on it would kick the breaker. Ended up replacing the breaker and installing a switch.
~Michael

-
Back