Air filters

-

pjc360

Reaction score
I was wondering if a bigger air filter can increase performance?
For example I was running a dual snorkel mopar air cleaner assembly that came off a 1970 Plymouth roadrunner 383 car (I believe) Anyways the filter that fits in this assembly is a wix 42043 or a hastings af73.
I have a 300hp crate 360 magnum and I am running a quick fuel super street series 680cfm vaccum secondary carburetor. Well with this dual snorkel air cleaner I had to put an air cleaner spacer on top of my carburetor to clear the float adjustment nut's on the carburetor. Well this air cleaner spacer was keeping my eelectric choke from working, it was hitting the choke linkage and keepin ti from working freely.
So I installed a new air cleaner, just your standard 14 inch chrome bottom and top filter. For an air filter I decided to run a little bigger. The air filter I am running now is a hastings Af809 which is equvilant to a wix 42096.
Now the wix 42043 air filter has a cfm rating of 210 and the filter I am running now the hastings A809 has a cfm rating of 345.
So I was just wondering if this bigger filter is going to flow better and make more power, (even if it is a tiny amount)

you can never run a big enough air filter, go as big as will fit...

one of the biggest restrictions on a performance build is the air filter, even a KN 14x5 isn't big enough for 90% of our street cars...

diablo.jpg

It matters not whether you are talking about the INLET end of water pumps, HVAC air returns, fuel pumps, or carburetor inlets, pressure drop on a very low pressure system ALWAYS makes a larger difference than a restriction on the high pressure (usually outlet) end.

14X5 is plenty. What is above the carb is the big differance. Have about 2 inches for best results and a min. Diameter of 14.
An excellent filter set up is something like a K&N extreme top or equal like type set up.

14X5 is plenty. What is above the carb is the big differance. Have about 2 inches for best results and a min. Diameter of 14.
An excellent filter set up is something like a K&N extreme top or equal like type set up.

i dont have the book infront of me but if you do the math for flow needed vs flow given its usually WAY off.

on my slant, yes a slant, with a brand new 14x5 paper filter and a hemi scoop i slowed down vs open carb. i jetted with no gain on the paper filter.

IIRC, one of the car magazine back in the day did an experiment and found that running a base plate that eased the transition of air into the throat of the carburetor provided better air flow than running nothing.

If you are really serious in maximum air flow and can find room for it, a particle separator is superior to a filter. Properly sized, they can handle a 1100 shp turbine. Since there is no media, cleaning them involves emptying the trap.

It would be misleading for me to say that there is no restriction using a particle separator. Most of the restriction is used to generate the cyclonic forces necessary to throw contaminants out of the air stream.

well I guess I will run this 14 inch air cleaner assembly with the bigger filter from now on then. I like the way the dual snorkel mopar air cleaner assembly looks better then I do the chrome top and bottom 14 inch air cleaner.
But if I can possibly gain some performance by satying with the 14 inch cleaner and the bigger filter then I will. And I am not sure if there is a bigger filter for the 14 inch air clener assembly then the hastings af809 or wix 42096.
The hastings af809 filter I am running now is 14x4, do they make 14x5 or 14x6 filters? And if they do does anyone know any part numbers for a wix or hastings filters?

summit carries a moroso 4-6" filters, i would also see if there is a paper lid like the KN ones.

Well I found out wix doesn't make a 14x5 or 14x6 paper filter, nether does hastings.
I think I will just stick with the hastings af809 filter which is a 14x4 filter.
I imagine that is a big enough air filter for what I am doing, My engine is in a 4x4 truck, I'm not doing any quarter mile drag racing. But occasionally I do get into races up in the mountains with out of staters and out of towners.
For example this last hunting season, my wife was with me and I was looking at about 20 to 30 head of deer on top of this mountain with my spotting scope, I look over and there is a couple guys in a newer chevy looking at the same deer, I looked at my wife and said I think its going to be a race to the top of that mountain so hold on. And it was, but I beat them to the cattle guard and got in front of them, they got sick of my old dodge throwing rocks and dirt all over there pretty chevy and they backed off after awhile.

-
Back