air fuel wideband guages

-

cryplydog

Reaction score
I want to purchase 2 wideband guages and want opinions on what brand to buy. Right now I am looking at the AEM and the Innovate. What do you Gentlemen think. Thanks

I've had 2 Innovate set ups in 2 different cars. I've had good luck with both. However there are 2 different gauges available analog and digital. The systems are also upgradable and you can run dual sensors but unless you have 2 gauges or a toggle set up you can only see 1 side at a time. Drawback.....unleaded fuel is recommended for sensor life.

I have an Innovate LC-2 in my Dart. The main "gotcha" is that they need a good ground; it's best to ground straight to the battery instead of the chassis. Especially if you're tying it into EFI instead of just using as a gauge.

I want to purchase 2 wideband guages and want opinions on what brand to buy. Right now I am looking at the AEM and the Innovate. What do you Gentlemen think. Thanks
It depends on what you are planning to do with them.
It also depends on your commitment and interest to learning the wideband hardware and software, assuming you're going to log.
If you're not logging, then it depends are what you're trying to do.

Wideband can be a useful tool. It also has many people chasing meaningless numbers. Keep your eye on the goals, power and torque. The O2 data is just a reference to understand the impact of a change. It's extremely useful in determining if the AFR is flat and stable when making WOT runs at the dragstrip or on a dyno.

IMO for the track, it most useful in conjunction with an rpm log.
Examples: Proform 850 dialing it in closer

Here's some ways they can be used to see the effect of changes for cruising and part throttle.
100 cfm more with anular and downleg boosters can't beat AFR

The most important thing is
Tune for best performance.
In other words don't worry about the AFR number, much less aim for any AFR number.
Use the AFR to see the effect of changes to carb restrictions under various conditions.
How to read carb calibration chart?

A wideband is not needed
Setup for 750DP on this 408
My point is that for someone with limited funds or time, they might be better spent at the drag strip or on a dyno since those actually measure performance. 100 cfm more with anular and downleg boosters can't beat AFR

To track the AFR relationships under various low throttle and part throttle situations, MAP and TPS are useful in addition to RPM.
AFR gauge with o2 sensor worth it or not?

Last edited:
I have a Summit branded Innovate LC2 in my Duster. It’s a great tuning tool even without using any data logging capabilities, really helped in setting up the Holley 750 double pumper on my car. Obviously you can tune without one and a lot of people do and do successfully, but it really takes the guesswork out of it. It’s a lot easier than reading plugs, both from a guesswork/experience standpoint as well as just constantly pulling the plugs.

Dyno’s and track tuning obviously work really well too, and as usual it really depends on how you’re using the car. Tuning for max power or fastest time slip can be different than tuning for everyday drivability, and will be a lot different than if you wanted to tune for best gas mileage etc.

It’s just another tool, and the better you understand how it works and what it’s actually telling you the more useful it can be.

IMG_3290.jpeg

I have the AEM, it checked out accurate against the dyno afr readings when i had the car there and it is still working fine 10 years later.

I’ve only used AEM, but no issues.

I have the AEM, it checked out accurate against the dyno afr readings when i had the car there and it is still working fine 10 years later.
X2 for aem. I love mine. And the replacement O2 sensors are easy to find, and inexpensive. I was good for about every 2 years in race gas. Haven't changed one since I went e85. I like that they can read lambda, and have a spare face for it too.

X2 for aem. I love mine. And the replacement O2 sensors are easy to find, and inexpensive. I was good for about every 2 years in race gas. Haven't changed one since I went e85. I like that they can read lambda, and have a spare face for it too.
When the sensor goes bad, does it stop reading all together, or is the gauge just way off?

When the sensor goes bad, does it stop reading all together, or is the gauge just way off?
mine went to 1.0 lambda and just stayed there w/o adjustment. if you're in Stoic, i'd guess it would be 14.7 and never change, but i'm guessing.

I have the aem in my truck and recently put the innovate dlg-1 in my boat. Aem has worked flawlessly for 10 years. Innovate has only a few hours run time but works great. Don’t think you can go wrong either way.

-
Back