Air gap intake restoration

-

71duster06

Reaction score
Good evening all. I've had this sitting on my shelf for a few years now and figured I would try it out this spring on the 340. It needs a good cleanup as it's pretty filthy and wondered what you recommend to clean/seal to keep clean. The LD340 I have on the car was virtually brand new when I bought it and has stayed very clean the past 6 years with minor carb cleaner if oil or gas ever started to stain.

IMG_1645.JPG

IMG_1647.JPG

Degrease it and brush it as clean as possible. Remove all paper gaskets and tube sealent before glass beeding.
Store in a dry area.

Thanks guys. Bead blasting seems to be the common route. I'm planning of doing a before/after 1/4 mile comparison between these intakes as they seem to be arch rivals.

Make sure you tell us the entire combination of the engine, as well as drivetrain and the suspension, when you do the dragstrip testing of the manifolds

Eastwood sells a clear coat in a spray can. It is called diamond Clear. Have the intake bead blasted and then spray it with Diamond Clear.

Do you know if its durable? Any reviews I've read/heard on intake clear coating is that it yellows pretty quickly?
Thanks
Eastwood sells a clear coat in a spray can. It is called diamond Clear. Have the intake bead blasted and then spray it with Diamond Clear.

Make sure you tell us the entire combination of the engine, as well as drivetrain and the suspension, when you do the dragstrip testing of the manifolds
You bet. Honestly I'm not expecting significant or noticeable changes. Just allowing some heat to escape is my only real motive. But yes a good side by side will be neat.

I have used it, but never on an intake. I have been powder coating for about 10 years now, so I have always just powder coated intakes. So I can't answer that, but it's worth trying. I trust Eastwood quality, so I'd try it.

I have used it, but never on an intake. I have been powder coating for about 10 years now, so I have always just powder coated intakes. So I can't answer that, but it's worth trying. I trust Eastwood quality, so I'd try it.

Do they make a satin clear powder coat? Will it hold up over time on an intake?

Do they make a satin clear powder coat? Will it hold up over time on an intake?

Yes, they make satin clear powders. If the metal is properly prepped and cleaned first, any powder will hold up over time better than paint or bare metal; it will be easier to keep clean and repel staining.

I disagreed with Harrison on one point he made above. If you've ever seen a blasted used intake manifold, they're typically splotchy with darker and lighter areas (especially if it endured fuel leaks) and who wants to preserve THAT forever? Unless you outgas it first to bring all the impurities, old fuel and gunk to the surface before you blast it, you're just wasting your time and begging for costly rework.

014.JPG

When it's done right, you can have something beautiful that will last a lifetime and make you proud every time you open the hood.

002.JPG

042.JPG

Do you have a picture of a satin cleared aluminum intake?

No mopowers, I don't. I've been successful in talking everyone out of just clearing bare aluminum so far. All the ones I've restored have some color underneath the clear first.

No mopowers, I don't. I've been successful in talking everyone out of just clearing bare aluminum so far. All the ones I've restored have some color underneath the clear first.
I`ve glass beaded more than one intake, all have turned out very nice. Even clear painted a few, they held up good until repeated carb issues spilled gas on them. I wouldn`t think twice about not doing it w/ fuel inj.

When I have mine off for cam swap or maintenance I wait for my wife to go out and put it in the dishwasher. Both my cars get driven.

When I have mine off for cam swap or maintenance I wait for my wife to go out and put it in the dishwasher. Both my cars get driven.
I have cleaned many parts in the dishwasher. Told the wife its just another tool, she said I was the tool. Hmmm

Waiting on the sidelines to hear the Airgap vs LD340 comparison.

If possible, get it blasted. If not, just clean it really good with lacquer thinner, brushes, etc. Then prime it with Duplicolor Ceramic engine primer and paint it with Duplicor Ceramic cast aluminum paint.

It will come out beautiful and once in the car no one will ever know it's been painted. No stains, no yellowing and easy touch up if needed. I even do this procedure to brand new intakes.

The one in car was done a few years ago. The other just done in March. It's been on the dyno and will be back on this week.

Durable, long lasting, easy stain removal and touch up. Can't go wrong.
20170421_033506.jpg
20170421_033446.jpg
20170421_033433.jpg

If possible, get it blasted. If not, just clean it really good with lacquer thinner, brushes, etc. Then prime it with Duplicolor Ceramic engine primer and paint it with Duplicor Ceramic cast aluminum paint.

It will come out beautiful and once in the car no one will ever know it's been painted. No stains, no yellowing and easy touch up if needed. I even do this procedure to brand new intakes.

The one in car was done a few years ago. The other just done in March. It's been on the dyno and will be back on this week.

Durable, long lasting, easy stain removal and touch up. Can't go wrong.View attachment 1715040632 View attachment 1715040633 View attachment 1715040634
That looks great!

I think so too. Nothing fancy that I did either. Just good prep and paint. As you can see from the one in the car, it lightens up a bit with age or heat. Maybe both.

Nice easy clean up, which I like. One little drop of oil on raw aluminum and you're done! Ain't ever getting it out. On painted aluminum, ya just wipe it away.

There is a manifold guy at Pomona Swap every time and he has about 30 intakes of various livery. all look the same: a chalky white but spotless. some have a slight sparkle to them, Im guessing its the glass beads impregnated into the aluminum. It amazing to see an antique AL intake (Man-A-Fre) look like its out of the box.

Is using sand instead of glass bead a big no-no? I ask because I have access to a blaster but they use sand.

-
Back