Air Gap vs. M1 Single Plane For Stroker

-
I didn’t mean to infer anyone making stuff up or isn’t legit in their methods and such. My point was the limits of the test machines we use. It’s the nature of the tool. Anything that comes out of Westech is worth looking at. Just the years of accumulated knowledge is incredible.

Hey now don't accuse me of being honest, I fully reserve the right to throw out random BS :)

The real test will be when YOU drive the car, how YOU drive it, on the street with both intakes. With as little track time as you say it’s gonna get and as much street time, I’m guessing the RPM is the one you’ll like the best. Regardless of which on is actually faster.
Yup you're probably right !!

Is there fuel atomization (droplets/accumulation) differences that should be considered with the M1 at lower RPM's. Is there a runner velocity advantage with an Air Gap at lower RPM? @rumblefish360 @MOPAROFFICIAL ?
Is this a dumb question or does it even make sense?

Get on it. You’ve got intakes to swap. We’ll be here waiting for results.
You're totally right. Wait.... I still have to fire the engine up for the first time. Wait... I still have to receive the 1-7/8 headers before I can drive it....

It's gonna be a few weeks before my headers come in and I'm expecting to have to mod them for pan clearance so don't hold your breath.

Is there fuel atomization (droplets/accumulation) differences that should be considered with the M1 at lower RPM's. Is there a runner velocity advantage with an Air Gap at lower RPM? @rumblefish360 @MOPAROFFICIAL ?
Is this a dumb question or does it even make sense?
Good question that makes sense.
Each have there pros and cons to them. Right off the bat the M1 needs mods as outlined by MP. This is for use with a Holley carb. The dual plane (any) has issues as well with fuel. The RPM is the best one to use out there. But it still has problems.

IMO, this is the least worry to have. I would not even consider thinking about it at all. When it comes time to tune the carb, just do the best you can. It kind of falls under the “It is what it is” slogan. Thee is t much you can do to change the dual plane. You can do more with a single plane. But that’s also hard as heck and will require lots of testing to the intake over and over again to prove or disprove the mods worth.

Just run what ya brung or port the heck out of it, it won’t matter. Just enjoy. IMO, just run the RPM in the OOTB condition (or with a spacer) and OOTB with the M1, follow the MP books mods.

Floor dams across several runners (3 IIRC) at specific lengths and heights. The mods are covered in the engines book. Mine is temporarily unavailable

I'm way too lazy and OCD to epoxy stuff in my manifold. I'd always be worried about the stuff breaking off.

Any opinion on using an open spacer for the AG vs. Milling a notch in the divider?

I'm way too lazy and OCD to epoxy stuff in my manifold. I'd always be worried about the stuff breaking off.
Heli-arc. Done!
Any opinion on using an open spacer for the AG vs. Milling a notch in the divider?
Use a spacer before milling the divider every time.
The only thing I would do to the divider is round the edges off with the use of a spacer, except the 4 hole where it wouldn’t matter. Just check for clearance between the spacer and the intake. Mill away what ever protrudes into the bore hole of the spacer.
Open, 4 hole or tapered is the big question.

Open. As big as will fit under your hood. If you have a flat hood and don’t want to use a spacer mill the divider. My opinion only.

Clearance with a spacer is always the issue, unfortunately.

Unless it's extreme RPM, I fail to see an advantage with the M1 over the Air Gap. Of course, lots of things are different in reality.

I have a hood scoop so clearance isn't really a problem.

Unless it's extreme RPM, I fail to see an advantage with the M1 over the Air Gap. Of course, lots of things are different in reality.
I wouldn't say it'll be extreme rpm, but it's possible it could rev out to 6500+ on a strip pass. Definitely past the crossover point where a dual plane will usually start giving way to the single.

Definitely past the crossover point where a dual plane will usually start giving way to the single.
On 416 inches maybe. But in reality the RPM should be ok right up to and maybe a little higher than 6500.

I wouldn't say it'll be extreme rpm, but it's possible it could rev out to 6500+ on a strip pass. Definitely past the crossover point where a dual plane will usually start giving way to the single.

I don't see how the Air Gap can be beat under 7K.

On 416 inches maybe. But in reality the RPM should be ok right up to and maybe a little higher than 6500.

That's the whole purpose of a stroker, IMO is to make power at a lower RPM.

Having been around these strokers on the dyno, unless you have SERIOUS heads, and by that I mean 300cfm flow, plus, and a cam to match, reality says they are a 6000rpm engine. Unported Edelbrock heads with a cam in the 240-250 neighborhood is peaked in hp by about 5600 rpm, there just simply isn't enough real estate in the heads to support the cubic inches over these rpm's. I see little point in winding these engines up beyond 6000rpm on the street when they are already declining in power. A rule of thumb I've been told is shift points 300rpm higher than peak. I swear some people use rpm as a bragging concept, not a reality of best output of the package.

That said, I direct this a nobody on this forum or post, just comments on my perceptions.

Last edited:
-
Back