Alignment shop near Sacramento, CA

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a good alignment shop in or near Sac that I can take my dart to? I completely rebuilt the front suspension on my dart, and as soon as I get the weight back in the car, I need to get it all aligned. Most of the shops I have been to dont really seem like the young kids there have any idea what they are doing. Although the firestone tech said that they would definitely be able to figure it out, and get it right.

I attempted to get the alignment pretty much right back to what it was before tearing it apart, but that doens't say much. I think the alignment was pretty bad before the rebuild..So this is why I want to make sure I take it somehwere that they know exactly what they are doing on this old car! Since it might be pretty out of whack

Check with Hemi71x. He's in the Sac area and should know. Don't trust any shop that only thinks they can get it. Any REAL alignment tech will know what they are doing right off the bat, BUT make sure they do NOT use the original specs. The original specs were for bias ply tires. You need more caster than that.

The easiest way to get the alignment is to put the car on a level surface with homemade turnplates (two vinyl tiles with greese between them on each side) and put the front alignment cam in the outward position and the rear cam in the inward position. Set the ride height (I usually set about an inch between the LCA bumper and frame, using the LCA to frame distance to even up both sides) Bring the rear cam out until you have about 1/2 degree negative camber. That is the most caster you will get out of the parts you have. Then set about 1/16" toe-IN. If you have a pull after this you will probably want the car on an alignment rack if you don't have the measuring tools (I bought my own several years ago).

I've got a guy in Orangevale. He works at a major chain, but he's a circle track guy and knows his stuff. I'll shoot you a PM with his info.

Check with Hemi71x. He's in the Sac area and should know. Don't trust any shop that only thinks they can get it. Any REAL alignment tech will know what they are doing right off the bat, BUT make sure they do NOT use the original specs. The original specs were for bias ply tires. You need more caster than that.

The easiest way to get the alignment is to put the car on a level surface with homemade turnplates (two vinyl tiles with greese between them on each side) and put the front alignment cam in the outward position and the rear cam in the inward position. Set the ride height (I usually set about an inch between the LCA bumper and frame, using the LCA to frame distance to even up both sides) Bring the rear cam out until you have about 1/2 degree negative camber. That is the most caster you will get out of the parts you have. Then set about 1/16" toe-IN. If you have a pull after this you will probably want the car on an alignment rack if you don't have the measuring tools (I bought my own several years ago).

In theory, sounds somewhat easy. I took some auto classes at my college that I learned the basics of alignments, but I'm not sure that I'd be able to do it myself even if I had the right tools.. I rememeber hearing that I shouldn't follow the original specs because of different tires these days. So I will keep that in mind. Unless I find somebody close to me willing to come over one afternoon and assist... I always pay people in beer when they help. :cheers:

Sent you a PM. I can get it pretty close myself with my bubble gauge, but the info I sent in the PM will be more helpful.

My dart is a 318/727. XHD leaf springs(if it matters). stock rebuilt front suspension..planning on running pretty stock sized tires all the way around on the OE steelies. going to be a daily driver that might hit the 1/4 mile recreationally every once in a while.

Any other recommendations on what the alignment should be set to? I will use info already stated, as well as what you told me already Bryan..Thanks.

And with that guy at the shop in O-vale, he might even have some recommendations, and explanations of stuff better than what can be done over this forum..

Sent you some more info. The SKOSH chart below is a good place to start.

289d4j7.jpg

-
Back