alignment tool camber, caster

-
I just did my alignment on my duster after I put on some adjustable uppers ........ Go on longacer's website directly pay the extra 50 bucks and get the rim clamp because you are going to be moving the tool on and off- from side to side and between adjustments and messing with the magnet mount won't be very precise and throw off your angles
.. Also after you get it PUT NEW BATTERIES IN IT the cheepo batteries start dieing before your done..... Good luck if you have any issues hit me up

^^^I have driven this car before and after the driveway alignment and I have to say it has NEVER driven this well before. Using vinyl tiles from home depot as turntables and a crayon to mark the most level section of driveway sounds crude but it works!

A bubble never lies! Digital electronics?.. You can pick up the old Ammco, Snap-on, Hunter bubble gauges on ebay for 40-50 bucks. You will probably need some sort of wheel adapter. Some gauges will fit on the hub center of steelies but it has to sit flush & evenly.

You want about 3-1/2 to 4* positive caster, or as much up to that as you can get, but no more than 1/2* difference side to side (cross caster). If you want to compensate for road crown you can set the pass side caster a little more positive than the drivers side. Try to stay within a 1/2* difference though.
Camber should be 0 to 1/2* negative. (-3/4* max) again try to keep within 1/2* side to side difference.
Toe should be 1/8* in.

Always set your Caster 1st. Then Camber 2nd. Then Toe. Setting it out of order & you won't get acurate results.

i did it with the Iphone Appp hahaha. It worked. Not super comfortable but it works. 1000km now.

But a real tool will follow. Guess it will be a bubble one because I can see all 3 bubbles on one sight...

I used the iAlign iPhone app aswell.
Had it set fairly well I thought, but a few days later steering started to feel 'off' and noticed a tire started to squeel during cornering.

Turned out one of the cambolts didn't stay put and lost it's adjustment.
I re-set it by hand the way I remembered it somewhat was when I aligned the car, but I will need to do a re-alignment to make sure of the current camber/caster specs.
I will probably have a shop do a proper alignment, mainly to verify my measurements and settings.
If they match, that would give me more confidence that I can do the alignments myself in the future on all my cars.

well, I was needing this as a pre-alignment. Or adjustment in better words. Runs good, straight when braking, harder to steer because of a lot camber.

Anyway I will go to a shop too just to see if my numbers are close to a real measurement :)

There is no reason, if you do this carefully, why you can't get as close as you need to for an alignment. As an old guy with arthritis........serious pain, it takes me most of a Saturday, but I use my car trailer for a platform, and take my time, and it drove really good when I was done.

-
Back