Alignment tool

-

canyncarvr

Reaction score
Greetings:

The specified 'tool' to align the Comp+ shifter is 1/16" x 5/8" x 2 3/8".

How does it fit in the slot? No way that I can tell. The slot in the shifter is nowhere's close to 5/8". What am I missing? I've never used anything other than a nail. :eek:ops: (this pic from another thread):

Hurstcompplus.jpg

Where are you getting this "spec?" I'd bet from the shop manual for that "other" non Hurst shifter!!!!

Comp plus, just use (I forget, experiment) allen, bolt, nail about 1/4" or whatever fits nice and snug.

For the old Inland shifter:

102s09x.jpg

20hls1k.jpg

Well...th'ar 'ya go.

My Motor Manual has that diagram..captioned as a 1968 4-sp. I thought in '68 the Hurst Comp+ was used. But then...the Comp+ didn't have the reverse lockout in the diagram.

Thanks!

I used a cut off Phillips head screwdriver thru the hole in all the shift rods--First go around I used too small of a diameter after that I found one that goes in snug and aligned the rods perfect--just my 2 cents--Steve

What I'm trying to sort out is why, when the shifter levers ARE aligned (placed per the notches in the shifter levers) the neutral gate to reverse canNOT be reached (used/accessed..whatever). First thought was I had the wrong 'R' operating lever on the transmission, but that is not the case.

Anyway...the alignment question I didn't think was related to that issue.

On some of the Hurst shifters you have to push the handle down (while in neutral) to engage reverse.

Russ.

..............otherwise it's a problem right in the shifter box

On some of the Hurst shifters you have to push the handle down (while in neutral) to engage reverse.

Russ.

True. Not this one, though.

It is a two-bolt handle, btw.

67Dart273 said:
..............otherwise it's a problem right in the shifter box.

Getting that sorted. I don't know where this shifter came from..off of what, I mean. Got it soaking in a tub-o-PineSol at the moment.

My first car was a '66Dart273. A two-tone solid-lifter 4-sp car. Got rid of it 'cuz I couldn't find fancy-looking wheels for the 4-bolt pattern. :eek:ops: At least I traded it in on something good: A '68 440HP 4-sp R/T Charger!

Sure wish I'd had the sense to keep both of 'em.

The '67 is a much better looking car!

Unhook the rods, put the shifter in neutral and put a drill or allen through the adjuster slot. I think its 1/8" or 1/4" then hook the rods back up. Done

Unhook the rods, put the shifter in neutral and put a drill or allen through the adjuster slot. I think its 1/8" or 1/4" then hook the rods back up. Done

As noted (post #5), when the shifter IS aligned (pinned through the slot), the shifter doesn't WORK (shift lever won't pass into 'R' neutral gate).

It's simple enough to put <whatever> through the alignment slots to effectively align the shifter levers. The original quesiton had to do with why the indicated 'tool' didn't fit. That question has been reasonably answered: The indicated 'tool' spec is either incorrect, or NOT intended for the Comp+ shifter.

Either way of that, my shifter has some other problem. Possibly the user!! ...to be determined...

Workin' on it, boss. :coffee2:

..for those looking for information on this issue at a later date.

The folks at Brewer's performance took the time to answer some questions about my shifter. Hopefully, this will help others, too.

The 'R' operating lever I have on the transmission is the correct lever. It is 2 1/4" long, hole centers are about 1 5/16s. The slot is NOT canted. It is 'straight' with the edge of the lever.

The shifter 'R' lever is #2336 (stamped on the lever).

Brewer's said the shifter is a '64-65 piece..that the reverse lever alignment slot is NOT used...that the shifter 'R' lever is aligned by sight, NOT with the pin.

The problem still exists (shifter will not move the 'R' trans lever fully rearward), but now I know the transmission operating lever is correct and the alignment pin issue (shifter doesn't work when pin is placed through all three levers) is a known issue.

A big 'Thank You' to Brewer's for taking the time to help me out!!

What I'm trying to sort out is why, when the shifter levers ARE aligned (placed per the notches in the shifter levers) the neutral gate to reverse canNOT be reached (used/accessed..whatever). First thought was I had the wrong 'R' operating lever on the transmission, but that is not the case.

Anyway...the alignment question I didn't think was related to that issue.
I had same problem with a comp+ on my wife's 66 Mustang gt and just adjusted reverse linkage to where it worked and said the hell with it. Works great so thats the way it stayed. :burnout:

-
Back