All heads are not even

-
some are threaded for 1/4 inch allen screws. Didnt think 72 were smog heads.Moved thread to right forum.

The other thing is, if you are putting 340/360 heads on a 318, the larger chambers will drop the compression.

sounds like the OP didn't do any reasearch first, be like trying to bolt 350 vortec heads on a older 350 without doing anything

mopars change a little too

You are correct. Lucky for you , you didn't break the bank buying parts. Read here first BEFORE buying anything else. Just my opinion.

The other thing is, if you are putting 340/360 heads on a 318, the larger chambers will drop the compression.

This is the major difference ^^^
The smog holes can be dealt with easily, but machining 40-50 thou off the 360 heads to make the compression back is a bigger deal.
The valves are bigger in the 360 head also.

Was it here (FABO) I saw where someone milled down a head so much it ended up a closed chambered head?

But for $75 for each set!!! You still made it out like a bandit! And you learned something to! LOL. Ask a lot of question's here before you really do go out and buy something over priced and that you find out won't work at all or can't return. You will always be learning and that's what this site is for to learn from each other! So use it for the tool that it is! Good luck with your project.

I don't think the first set of heads mentioned were actually 72 model heads even if that's what the year vehicle they were in. 72 didn't have the smog tubes. Casting numbers would clarify what heads they are.

I don't think the first set of heads mentioned were actually 72 model heads even if that's what the year vehicle they were in. 72 didn't have the smog tubes. Casting numbers would clarify what heads they are.

What I was getting at.

When people say the 318 and 360 heads are the same they are talking about the magnum motors. The LA heads came in all kinds of variations.

In my experience this can be completely compensated for by installing 2.02 intake valves in the 340/360 head.

-
Back