All mopar friends here?

-
Does this mean you saw something you wanted, but the guy who has what you wanted is asking a higher price? I am cheap too, but the prices on FABO are a hell of a lot less than on eBag. Sometimes a friend here will give it to you free or charge as little as the ride. Not only that, they are always here with the advice, opinions you seek, or the expertise you need, to do the job you want to do.......for free. Think about the value of that....
I don`t agree w/ the prices on here being cheaper than e bay. I bought a huge amount of the stuff I needed for my resto mod / basket case on e bay. U just have to have the $ and be ready when a deal pops up. I "almost always" beat the prices on here ! As an example of the reverse, I got a few extra grill parts w/ my basket case when I traded for it, some 67, 68, some 69 parts. I straightened and assembled what I thot was the best , after cleaning all of them up as best I could. A guy advertises he wants some certain grill parts , I post that I have those. He offers up what he expected to pay for them on here, which I thot was ridiculous. He bought them, then later complained that I asked too much for them, when I didn`t even put a price on them I just took
what he offered me! He was used to fabo pricing ! I recently found an American made electrical
part , that a well known member on here asked $153 for , new, I got it for $53 plus shipping .

When you sell a part or parts cheap enough that the buyer turns around and exploits it by reselling it at a higher price, that's yellow belly **** right there.
I can't stand people that do that.

Only exception is if you get stuck on a project and then abandon it yrs later, in that case you sell the stuff off down the line at the current price that is gonna be reasonably higher than yrs before when ya bought it.
Some food for thought: if you put out 5 round-to-its at a swap meet for $25 each and I come along and offer you $20 each and you accept, then I decide later to keep two and sell the other 3 for $30 each at next weeks swap meet - where's the harm? That ain't yellow bellied **** - that's friggin' brilliant... I just got two $30 parts for $10. - - you took the deal at $20 each.

--besides, if you do "this" for long enough, it all evens out - - I have certainly paid too much for a few parts here and there over the years (buyer beware) and I have been the fortunate recipient of a few nice deals too..

I smell what you're cooking. my point was that after some people make it point to convince people they are in dire need ( LIE TO ME ) and have been searching the country side or it's a father and son project and need the help or they don't have X amount of dollars and could I work with them , THEN to find the **** on eBay or a week later on FBBO, that's when it bothers me and fucks it up for the next time .
that there is the yellow bellied bullshit!

Buying old parts is like this. It is same a buying an old Mopar. YOU decide what it is worth to YOU, and that is what you offer. Some you win and some you lose.

Some food for thought: if you put out 5 round-to-its at a swap meet for $25 each and I come along and offer you $20 each and you accept, then I decide later to keep two and sell the other 3 for $30 each at next weeks swap meet - where's the harm? That ain't yellow bellied **** - that's friggin' brilliant... I just got two $30 parts for $10. - - you took the deal at $20 each.
In this hobby there is comradery, a brotherhood, an unspoken code.
Biz is biz but you wont be doin much biz after you take advantage of anothers generosity.
If you are in the parts business... You're in it to make money...and that my friend is a different story than what we are speaking of in this thread....a fine line is where we are at.

Parts guys, we love and hate you.
You have what we need... as well as the desire to want top dollar for it, and in some cases are so bullheaded that you'll cut it up and or junk it before you'd sell it for the highest offer if it were not to your standard.

Again, self conscience ones lured out into this thread.

Here is where trouble can lurk. A guy that sells used parts KNOWS the going price for a given part. A guy in the hobby, a NEW ish guy, he might not know the going price. Lets say, he bought a part for his car, turns out not to be the right one, he screwed up and did not know what to look or ask for. He bought it off someone and gave a TON for it, usually off some place like FEEBAY> So he wants his $ back and that is his asking price!! So he advertises it here on FABO,... us more experienced guys say, WTF is this dude thinking???? crook, ignorant, or is he short on his mortgage payment??????

Back decades ago before that idiot asshole A Gore invented to 'net, (ha) I knew a local guy with huge Mopar yard.. Locals brought him parts cars, parts.... He advertised on Hemmins and MCG. He knew the "national" going price very well . The locals would later go to his yard, seeking a part, and he would price it to them at his "going national price".... which was wayyyy more than the LOCAL going price!!! It was is business, not a local business....... Salt in a wound!!!!!!!
Another thing. I have built many 68-70 B Bodies, but I have not done so since maybe 2002 or so. That is 15 years. Prices and supply and demand of parts change. If I base what I will pay for a given part on what I paid 15 years ago, I might be in for a surprise. And then too, some prices today for some parts, are just as cheap as 20 years ago.

-
Back