Alloy Heads for my 340?

-

hux340

Reaction score
What do you gurus recommend? All I know is the comp is shitty 9.0 to one. Will know more when my mechanic comes back from holidays at the end of the month. Looking at Elderbrock performer type.

Elderbrock?

Look at the SideWinder smallblock heads.
They seem to be a step above the rest, even above the coarse casted and finished Edelbrock heads.

Edelbrock RPM heads are nice,just go for the closed chamber version and add thicker headgaskets if your pistons are positive deck or if you are in a position where you want to change pistons now is a good time to do that to avoid those open chamber heads,that way you are not stuck with the stupid rpm340 heads if you change pistons down the road.Feel free to ask what heads i bought many years ago.
Not a fan of chinese products if i can avoid them and Edelbrock is pretty lonely in the market of better performing aluminum heads that are still sort of stock replacement and still made in USA.

Currently, IMO, the Edelbrock head is the best deal out there in aluminum without going to an exotic type head. Have them worked over before installing them as to just simply double check everything is good to go.

A clear step up is there Victor head. While pricey, it makes good sense over the additional cost of porting the rpm heads, which it will still out flow.

What CR are you looking for, OP?

The RPM's are a good bang for the buck. We found 4 tiny burrs in the guides on one head (which the machinist did not worry about). And he said that not all of the valves were perfectly centered on the seats, so he touched up the seats to correct that and cleaned up the pockets right below the valves. $110 USD extra for that IIRC.

BTW, running some numbers shows that you can go to a lot high in CR with flat top pistons if you use the version of the Edelbrocks that have the milled recess (PN 60179), and use pistons high enough above deck. The 'closed' portion of the chamber in the 65 cc Edelbrocks is only about 52 cc's in size. So if you fill a lot of that milled volume with an elevated flat piston top, you can push up close to 12:1 and have quench too.

What CR are you looking for, OP?

The RPM's are a good bang for the buck. We found 4 tiny burrs in the guides on one head (which the machinist did not worry about). And he said that not all of the valves were perfectly centered on the seats, so he touched up the seats to correct that and cleaned up the pockets right below the valves. $110 USD extra for that IIRC.

BTW, running some numbers shows that you can go to a lot high in CR with flat top pistons if you use the version of the Edelbrocks that have the milled recess (PN 60179), and use pistons high enough above deck. The 'closed' portion of the chamber in the 65 cc Edelbrocks is only about 52 cc's in size. So if you fill a lot of that milled volume with an elevated flat piston top, you can push up close to 12:1 and have quench too.

Or you just mill the closed chamber head to the desired chambersize and stay as far away as possible from that stupid 340 head as possible,building a shortblock for that retarded recess makes it harder if you ever wants to go in a different direction later down the road.This is from someone who has already made that misstake. Im not going to argue about this point any further.

Trick Flow is supposed to be releasing a small block head later this year...

Only if......

Hopefully there better on release dates than Edelbrock.....

Yeah I dunno a about that. They were already supposed to be out, but the most recent thing I’ve heard is September-ish now.

Maybe by the end of the year?

They might be worth waiting for, just depends on your build. The Edelbrocks will work great for most folks. They'd probably work fine for me, but my ported 308's already flow more than the OOTB Edelbrocks do so I'd either need to have work done on them, or step down a bit in flow. Since I don't want to spend that kind of money to step backward, I've been kind of keeping my eye on the TrickFlows since they were announced. Not that I really need new heads, but if the TrickFlow's come out and flow what they say they will OOTB that would be the way to go instead of paying for a set of Eddy's and then having to pay more to get them to flow what my 308's do. Just another option.

PowerPort.jpg

Absolutely! Purchasing Edelbrock heads and then more more money to port out to or beyond what you have now is just throwing money around needlessly. You have enough head flow to create a excellent street/street striper.

The TF head as listed above and if said to be flow wise, would be outstanding if equally priced to the Edelbrock Performer head. At 190cc intake runner volume (and flow rates listed) it should really be a excellent head.

In hux330’s case, waiting could very well be worth it.

-
Back