Allston Chassis 68 Dart

-

jdakota

Reaction score
After a year of thinking, measuring, reading, etc., I finally made the decision to go a different route with my 68 Dart. I ordered a Chris Allston complete welded chassis. They make a quality product and I'm very pleased with it.

Prior to ordering, I did a complete front and rear end mock-up with the wheels and tires I've chosen. Figuring backspace, fender clearances, section widths, etc., made my head spin. Honestly, the hardest part was finding wheels that I liked in the correct size and tires that would fit the wheels with the UTOG ratings I wanted.

I ordered the chassis with a 30" crossmember so that I could have rack and pinion power steering. It was factory welded (robotically) and the welds are perfect. I also extended the wheelbase 1 inch to 112". The price, that included the welded chassis as shown, entire front end suspension with double adjustable Q1 shocks, rack and pinion, brakes, sway bar, control arms, springs, tie rods, etc. was just under $9000.

I've included some pictures of where I'm at so far: the prep work, fitment under the car to see what old needed to go. I expect it will be another month or so before I get it all the way up under the car ready to weld in. I'll be putting in a 6.1 and 545RFE. A very long way to go. I'll add more photos as it progresses.

Attachments

• photo-4.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 382
  • photo-14.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 369
  • photo-13.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 364
  • photo-12.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 370
  • photo-11.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 360
  • photo-8.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 374
  • photo-7.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 363
  • photo-6.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 397
  • photo-5.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 369
The Prep

Attachments

• photo-24.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 358
  • photo-16.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 355
  • photo-15.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 351
  • photo-28.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 361
  • photo-27.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 359
  • photo-26.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 358
  • photo-25.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 359
Xx

Attachments

• photo-16.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 362
  • photo-18.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 381
  • photo-19.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 353
  • photo-20.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 346
  • photo-21.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 357
  • photo-22.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 353
  • photo-12.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 357
I just love it when a well thought out project starts coming together.
Keep it up with the detailed pics!

I have often thought about doing a full chassis from Alston, Morrison, etc.....but I am too much of a C.D. (cheap dick).

After back halfing my silver Duster, my current project is going to get rails all the way up to the front morphed into the stock rails. I even considered narrowing them for super narrow track width....but w/ a Stage II Hemi...there is no extra room. I would consider it for a wedge or small block.

Is yours 30 between the rails....or 30" on center? the factory is 32-1/8" on center (front)

Anyways....my hat is off to you.

Mopar to ya'
Denny

Thanks Denny. I appreciate your support. FWIW, I have a huge amount of respect for all you've done to offer an alternative front suspension product to our group. HDK is a great product. Thanks for all of your hard work and initiative.

The crossmember you asked about is 30" total from outside of frame rail to outside, or 30 on center. A minimum 30" crossmember is required for power steering. It took hours of figuring, but it will work on a dart with a 5" backspace on 17x7 wheels and 225/45/17 tires on the front.

We'll see how the Gen III Hemi fits in there. I'm confident there's room but I'm sure there will be roadblocks and problems to solve along the way. But that's what we do, right? :)

Thanks again Denny.

For now, to aid in holding the rigidity of the car to keep it from twisting. When the frame is up into the car, I'll have a better idea of what makes sense and what doesn't. It may come completely out or it may not.

Thanks,

If you ever need an extra 2 cent opinion .....give me a yell.

Denny

-
Back