Almost no oil pressure help

-
Interesting. So there is NO oil at the rocker shafts? It certainly is sounding like you need to pull the pan.

Well, pull the pan and see what's going on. Black oil globs doesn't sound like something i'd expect out of a rebuilt engine. Surely whoever rebuilt it didn't put the sludged up pump back in it. I believe you will find your answer when you pull the pan off. I know it's a pain but so is rebuilding an engine too. I bet you find the problem quickly. Heck it could just be a loose oil pump or pickup.

Before you pull the pan, Put a pan under the engine pull off the filter and operate the pump with a priming shaft you should get GOBS of oil out the filter mount.

If you haven't already, I'd try a different filter, and on that note what brand / part number are you using?

Also how does the oil look? smell like gas? Thick, thin?

When you pull the pan make sure the pump isn't interfering with the rear main bolt. Sometimes you have to turn the bolt a little to clear the pump. Sometimes this will crack the pump when you tighten it down or it wont sit flat against the cap.

Removing the oil filter and spinning the engine over like Del recommended is a good idea. You already have seen some thick sludge come out of the oil gallery. If there is more and it is stopped up, that could be your issue. You also might try applying air pressure to both the gauge gallery and the supply and return ports on the filter boss on the block. You might blow whatever it is out. Of course, there is always the risk of sucking it back up, but I think that would be minimal. It's worth a try as it costs nothing.

Before you pull the pan, Put a pan under the engine pull off the filter and operate the pump with a priming shaft you should get GOBS of oil out the filter mount.

If you haven't already, I'd try a different filter, and on that note what brand / part number are you using?

Also how does the oil look? smell like gas? Thick, thin?

i literally just changed the filter 3 days ago from a Frame to a WIX-51085 and it was fresh oil from the oil i put in 1 month ago upon fire up. oil looks fresh and smells like oil no gas smells

Have you seen the oil flow coming out of the filter boss without the filter on? It costs nothing to disable the ignition, remove the filter stick a pan under it and spin it over. Like Del said, it should be the Exxon Valdez all over again. If not, then I would pull the pan. It costs nothing to try.

Have you seen the oil flow coming out of the filter boss without the filter on? It costs nothing to disable the ignition, remove the filter stick a pan under it and spin it over. Like Del said, it should be the Exxon Valdez all over again. If not, then I would pull the pan. It costs nothing to try.

I have not done this yet... would have to wait till tomorrow to try that one.

I have not done this yet... would have to wait till tomorrow to try that one.

I think it is certainly worth trying. Course, ultimately I think we know what has to happen, but why do it when you have not exhausted every avenue? Good luck and keep us posted.

I was gonna ask if the oil shot out of the oil pressure sensor hole with the drill; it should shoot out all over the place. If not, then it is the pump, pickup, filter, or filter adapter; those are the items between the oil in the pan and the pressure sensor port. BTW, IIRC, the plug down in the back of the block are there to route the oil through the filter; if this plug is not there, then the oil goes into the engine with full pump pressure, but just bypasses the filter all the time.

At least you are fortunate to be finding the issue BEFORE the engine seems to have been damaged.

i literally just changed the filter 3 days ago from a Frame to a WIX-51085 and it was fresh oil from the oil i put in 1 month ago upon fire up. oil looks fresh and smells like oil no gas smells

What did it taste like??? #-o

Did it taste funny??? :D

Ater analyzing the situation and being very busy with selling real estate... i decided it was best it goes to my buddies shop that has a lift and many more tools. A great mechanic at a great price so we will take it step by step... i will keep you all informed.

and i feel like a major idiot! there was not more than a quart of oil in it. but the mechanic says i would have never know because the dip stick is too long, therefor it was alway reading full even when i bought it.

A side note... thank you to everyone who commented and offered their advice.

what about post #4 " I see fresh clean oil from when I filled it" . so the lesson is always pull the drainplug on an unknown combo and add 5 or 6 quarts and check dipstick

what about post #4 " I see fresh clean oil from when I filled it" . so the lesson is always pull the drainplug on an unknown combo and add 5 or 6 quarts and check dipstick

you are 100% correct... i must have filled it with like 1 or 2 checked the oil levels and was like oh its good now..... Lesson learned. I swear i put 5 but not even sure. :eek:ops:

Well I hope you found this out BEFORE you pulled the pan LOL. So it's fixed?

Well, that would explain things! You sure have a good attitude. Let's hope it survived well enough.

It fixed ... Mechanic never pulled the pan add 5 quarts said the oil pressure is as good as can be. Did a tune up on the carb and took her out for a spin and says have fun.

-
Back