almost overheating

-

68dart225

mopar rookie
Reaction score
I drive my 68 dart 270 over a mountain to get to work. It gets a little hot. The temp gage goes about 3/4 the way to max sometimes but never higher. The water pump and thermostat are new. The stock radiator and fan look pretty ancient so I ordered a new flexilite fan and a higher performance radiator but its backordered for at least 3 weeks. I want to know if it will be ok to drive for those 3 weeks or should I park it just in case.

I drive my 68 dart 270 over a mountain to get to work. It gets a little hot. The temp gage goes about 3/4 the way to max sometimes but never higher. The water pump and thermostat are new. The stock radiator and fan look pretty ancient so I ordered a new flexilite fan and a higher performance radiator but its backordered for at least 3 weeks. I want to know if it will be ok to drive for those 3 weeks or should I park it just in case.

Shouldnt be a problem if its not loosing coolant from boiling. A gauge with actual temperature would help us give a better answer. I wouldnt worry about anything under 220 with a pressure cap and antifreeze.

In August, using a/c, I would worry. In November, running the heater blower, I would still worry but I would drive it keeping a close eye on the gauge.

Not to worry, I would say normal operating range.

An actual temperature number would be better. On my 69 Dart, when the gauge hits 3/4, needle covering the "P" on the face of the gauge, the actual temperaure is205 - 210, so I would not worry, but not all gauges are calibrated the same.

Cover the radiator with cardboard while IDLING and put a heat sensor gun on the upper hose near the thermostat to get an idea of the actual temperature.

My normal range is between the "T" and "E" on the gauge, thats equal to 190 - 195 degrees. The 10 - 15 degree temp rise moves the needle quickly across the face of the gauge. I was concerned until I found the actual temperatures.

Ok I do have a pressure cap and antifreeze, its not boiling, and I will work on finding out the actual temp when at 3/4. Great info thank you.

Ok I do have a pressure cap and antifreeze, its not boiling, and I will work on finding out the actual temp when at 3/4. Great info thank you.

x2 your car's temp guage is 40+ years old, you can't trust it's accuracy. Re: flex fans, a lot of guys here say they're crap, you might save your money for something you really need....

3/4 is about the upper end of normal operating temp on the old gages. If it's not going above that, I wouldn't worry. Just keep an eye on it. Might want to check your timing, too. If it's advanced too much, it will cause it to run warmer. And whatever the stock fan is that you are swapping for a flex fan is probably better than the flex fan, you might want to cancel that order. I run a flex fan in my Duster only because there isn't enough clearance between the pump and radiator to run a vicious clutch fan.

I am looking at getting an elec cooling fan for my ride. Maybe you might want to look into that.

-
Back