Aloha from the 808 state

-

808440Dart

Reaction score
Not really a restoration but I've been lurking around this site for the last five months gathering information for my 68 440 Dart I bought in Jan. Mopar newbie here so I got a lot of great information from this site and thought I'd post a few pics of my 68 440 Dart. It's an original CA car that was brought to Honolulu in the early 80's. Survivor car thats been in storage for the last 25+ years or so. The exterior/interior is still in pretty bitchen condition. It already had the hard stuff done when I bought it - Fresh/rebuilt 440/727/8.375. Schumacher kit, 452 heads, Comp 480/280 hyd cam, 2500 stall, 3.23 w/sure grip, disc brake conversion, new gas tank, etc....Scored some free black Acura Integra bucket seats and a console from a 69 Dart so we converted it to console shift. Did the Dick Landy deal and moved the battery to the trunk and we found the original build sheet crumpled up under the back seat when we took it out to run the cable! :) Buds helped me finish the exhaust, cooling & fuel plumbing, wiring and we fired it up last weekend. It's definitely not a sleeper :) Still need to install the frame connectors, finish the console shift steering column conversion and Energy/Hotchkis the front end. Maybe A/C.

IMG_2550.JPG
IMG_2430.JPG
IMG_2564.JPG

Aloha! I lived there for a long time first in AIEA then Hilo, why did I ever move!!!!!
Looks great keep us updated and welcome!

Welcome to the site. Great looking car. Enjoy

Great looking car! Also, welcome to the site! Its a great place to find parts or info about anything. There are a ton of guys on here that a extremely helpful with anything you need to know about an A body!

Good luck with finishing your build and getting her road worthy!!! Keep the pics coming! We love to see what our guys and gals are doing to their cars!

Backed it out of the garage on Monday under it's own power. Neighbors all think it's cool, that's all that really matters. :)

On the fence on which hub caps to run - People tell be the ones with the red star are poverty (?) caps. I like the plain aluminum ones, the red logo ones are way to shiny for my sleeper. People say the front is to low, I kinda like it! Had to crank down the torsions a bit to lower it, I thought the 440 would put the /6 torsions on the bump stops.

We're still a few weekends away from doing rolling 30's or digs - Front & rear suspension and steering upgrade parts came in today, still waiting for the front sway bar. Still have some minor things left - Real minor oil leak, order a new gas pedal, plug a few holes in the firewall, install a stereo. :)

Local marine welding & fabrication shop that does selective hot rod stuff will weld in the frame connectors and do the roll bar later this summer. Shop owner is a Mopar guy. :)

IMG_2612.jpg

IMG_2629.jpg

IMG_2628.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

@JD - Hawaii Raceway Park closed in 2005.

Installed a Hotchkis sway bar and swapped out the worn out front end bushings with Energy ones and installed a set of KYB front shocks a few weeks ago. Got her registered and insured last Friday so I took her to my usual Starbucks and Whole Paycheck last Saturday morning to buy coffee and breakfast. I parked next to a Prius on purpose.....It was the right thing to do. A more gas for me thing. :) The older crowd digs the Dart.

Seems to ride and handle ok with the /6 bars. It's not a canyon carver, but more than enough to cruise around town and do burnouts. Wheel work with the manual steering is manageable. Manual front discs are better than I thought. 727 is a full manual valve body so it keeps me busy and it shifts really hard which makes for great gear chirps with the new Goodyears on the back. I thought the 3.23 gear was going to be on the high side but it seems pretty spot on or maybe the 440 just doesn't care.

I will say it does beautiful effortless burnouts and the front rises up really nice. :)

I have all new front end parts that I'll put on later this summer along with some 1" torsions.

IMG_2694.jpg

0fcb2afb-758c-4f99-ae3a-20bf59a661d8.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

-
Back