Alt advice

-
I was also thinking of upgrading alt for bigger one.
But after I made electrical upgrades, rewiring alt and bulkead connetor, removed alt meter and rewired lights and new swiches and relays.

After all those and now my idle voltage is 14volts. And I have bigger lamps and speakers.

I would make sure all electrical system are good condition before putting bigger alt, its like putting more pressure to leaking pipe, worst case it will brake your new alt faster

Reducing resistance in the circuit is the key to it all. Adding bigger alternators more batteries etc is only gonna mask the problems at best. The cars didn't leave the factory with electrical troubles(we hope) so the problems have developed over the years of use or abuse by the elements or by man. Going through the entire system & reducing resistance by improving connection & increasing wire gauge where needed is the best way to go. Electricity kinda flows like water. That's why they don't hook up a garden hose to a fire hydrant! Too much resistance- boom!

Reducing resistance in the circuit is the key to it all. Adding bigger alternators more batteries etc is only gonna mask the problems at best. The cars didn't leave the factory with electrical troubles(we hope) so the problems have developed over the years of use or abuse by the elements or by man. Going through the entire system & reducing resistance by improving connection & increasing wire gauge where needed is the best way to go. Electricity kinda flows like water. That's why they don't hook up a garden hose to a fire hydrant! Too much resistance- boom!

I agree completely! Great explanation.

One thing everyone has overlooked too: The ground side of the circuit. Most electrical problems occur due to poor grounds. My friend's Dart had the ground wire go directly from the battery to the engine then a ground cable to the chassis. We ran another ground wire from the Neg. battery terminal to a good clean spot on the chassis and BINGO, the headlights no longer flickered at idle.

we then cleaned every connection and put dielectric grease on em to keep em from corroding.

I agree 100% regarding the wiring concerns. I am going to upgrade wiring first.
then retest and check again

-
Back