Alt field wire location

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
Just to confirm. Does it matter which field wire i hook to which terminal at the alternator?

I marked the wires when i took it apart last fall, but i swapped alternators and there arent any markings on it other than "fld" at the two field locations.

Just wanted to be sure rather than stupid! Thanks!

CE

If it's a dual terminal field alternator like a squareback it doesn't matter.

ONE CAVEAT: !!!

If you are putting a previously unknown (as rebuilt, etc) on the car, ALWAYS check the continuity to ground from the two terminals. They should both be "open" (infinity resistance) to ground. More and more, sloppy rebuilders are making mistakes on these, and leaving a field terminal grounded.

First one I found was in the mid 70's when a customer returned complaining his Dodge pu was overcharging. One terminal was grounded, and he happened to get the blue hooked to the ungrounded terminal. He was "lucky" all it did was mostly ruin the battery........could have burned up the harness!!!

ONE CAVEAT: !!!

If you are putting a previously unknown (as rebuilt, etc) on the car, ALWAYS check the continuity to ground from the two terminals. They should both be "open" (infinity resistance) to ground. More and more, sloppy rebuilders are making mistakes on these, and leaving a field terminal grounded.

First one I found was in the mid 70's when a customer returned complaining his Dodge pu was overcharging. One terminal was grounded, and he happened to get the blue hooked to the ungrounded terminal. He was "lucky" all it did was mostly ruin the battery........could have burned up the harness!!!

Interesting. So one lead on the tester to the terminal and the other lead to the body of the alt? Infinity=good, any resistance reading=bad right?

I ran this alt on one of my old cars, so it is known good, but I am going to test it anyhow so I understand how for the future too.

Thanks,

CE

^^Yes, correct^^. There has been problems with at least a couple right here on this board. Some rebuilders are now selling isolated field alternators for use on the 69/ earlier, so a little mistake in packaging/ understanding/ labeling could end up with a smoking mess of a harness

Remember, on OEM harnesses, other than the fuse link, which is damn poor protection, there IS NO fuse protection in the ignition "run" circuit

-
Back