Alternatives/Suggestions Lack of power steering?

-

Dusty17

Reaction score
Hey guys. I recently picked up a '72 duster for my first car. The car has got no power steering so, as one would imagine, it's very difficult to steer in tight positions, especially dealing with the manual transmission on top of it. I know i can and will get used to it soon enough, i was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions for me. Should i invest in a power steering system? Thanks in advance for any help
-Joe

I dont think itll add 100 pounds. More like 50ish, just a pump, box, bracket and two lines. Even if it sagged it another 1/2 you can compensate some by adjusting your torsion keys up.

I dont think itll add 100 pounds. More like 50ish, just a pump, box, bracket and two lines. Even if it sagged it another 1/2 you can compensate some by adjusting your torsion keys up.
Good point. i think ill look into it. Any pricing/where to buy/installation suggestions?

I believe you will get used to it and pretty soon you won't even think about it. With practice you will get the hang of not trying to turn the wheel when you're at a dead stop, instead, have the car moving just a little. Another idea, order a leather steering wheel cover online from Wheelskins. They come in all colors and they look good. It will take you 45 minutes to lace it up, you'll be surprised at how much better grip and control you'll have of the wheel. My Mom who weighs 105 lbs drove a manual steering a-body for 30 years. http://www.wheelskins.com/

I agree to drive it for a while first. More people switch from power to manual steering for header clearance, better mileage, ... If you still want power, should be able to swap with someone for free. You need pre-1973 and, since the columns vary, try for the same year.

I'm in RI, have a PS pump and steering box I would LOVE to get rid of. They've been sitting on my shelf for like a year and a half doing nothing. You can have both of them for $50, or a case of beer, or anything really. :burnout:

Feel free to PM me.

Hit the gym....my wife drove our old Ranger that had manual steering, and wide tires on the front of it for years. It also had a stick. She had no issues with it........and she has a bad back.......

you have two choices..

1) live with it and get used to it. (may be able to run skinnies up front to make it slightly easier)

2) convert to power steering.. easy swap.. parts shouldn't be hard to locate.

weight difference between power and manual steering is around 50 ponds i believe.

Keep front tires properly inflated, make sure front end is correctly aligned, replace worn front end parts, and keep well-greased, then make car move before turning steering wheel from stop. When tires are not rotating steering will indeed be heavy, but once they are rotating effort rapidly diminishes.

We drove manual steering cars with standard transmissions for fifty years before power steering became more or less standard on premium cars in the late sixties. In fact I like manual steering in an A body better than optional over boosted power steering. Let me amend that last statement to read; I like manual steering, but also now enjoy a recently rebuilt stage II firm feel steering gear in my 67 Dart with a much reduced power assist to give a modern car like feel.

I would keep the manual steering. Read wjajr's first paragraph it is very good advice. You really do get used to it and then nobody will want to borrow your car once they have had a taste of 24:1 manual steering.

Thanks a lot you guys, I'm thinking ill tough it out. Once this damn storm is over ill take some time to get a good feel for the manual steering. Thanks again!

My 2 cents.

When I got my 68 it had PS. While still in CA (e-bay purchase) I topped up the PS fluid and within a few miles, (no exaggeration) it leaked out again. Drove it home w/o the belt and kept it that way for 4 years or so. I was gradually gathering parts to do a 73-76 K frame swap and when I finally did it, I replaced the PS stuff with an original 16:1 manual box and column. (the manual column is longer) I was so happy to get thet heavy, slimy, cast iron lump, hoses, and pump outta there! It's a little tough at low speeds but it's great when moving.

I'm guessing it's the slow ratio that you don't like, standard is 24:1! 5.5 turns lock to lock. 16:1 is about 3.5 turns, quicker but takes more effort at low speeds.

1. Mopar Performance used to sell a 20:1 ratio chuck. Last I saw they were about $200. (Mancini's may have them) If you can find one, just take the 24:1 guts out and replace with the 20:1 parts. The story I heard is they were developed for Nascar.

2. Flaming River sells brand new 16:1 manual boxes that just bolt in place of the one you have now. (well over $400 now but they were cheaper when first intoduced)

3. Send your box to a Mopar after market vendor to have the ratio quickened. http://www.firmfeel.com/ is one and http://www.steerandgear.com/ is another.

-
Back