alternator belt for 1/ 4 mile

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
can I take my alternator belt off for the quarter mile?
:eek:ccasion::eek:ccasion: Or will it affect my ignition?

I never ran an alternator on my bracket car. Just keep the battery charged between runs.

I always run an alternator, less fuss that having to constantly charge the battery.... JMO.

Are you "throwing" it, or just looking for et/speed? Unless you're looking to get to some milestone" number, I'd leave it on and forget about it. :)

Are you "throwing" it, or just looking for et/speed? Unless you're looking to get to some milestone" number, I'd leave it on and forget about it. :)

the first time I took the car out the best I could do was the 15.4
at this point I just want to get into the 14's ?
Then dual quad tunnel ram 14.8! :)
Then i put on the slicks 20LB pressure 14.2 !!!! :):)
now that I'm this close to the 13 ???!
I put a little electric motor on the water pump and fan.
I want to lower the tire pressure down to 17 pounds.
yes I'm trying to pull out some more stops to get the time lower.
I'm hoping to have time and money this next week to put the battery in the back.
my son is coming to visit me in a few weeks so I want to have the car ready to race
but yet I don't want to go to the track and blow it up before he gets here

Congrats! Nice work. If you get deep enough in the 14.0x range, I wouldn't be opposed to pulling the belt.....might get you a couple "hun". Don't forget to get your front tire pressure up also...but for the track only. Not sure of your front setup, but 40/45lbs is not out of the question on the drag strip. Will probably give you just as much as the missing belt...:)

Congrats! Nice work. If you get deep enough in the 14.0x range, I wouldn't be opposed to pulling the belt.....might get you a couple "hun". Don't forget to get your front tire pressure up also...but for the track only. Not sure of your front setup, but 40/45lbs is not out of the question on the drag strip. Will probably give you just as much as the missing belt...:)

thank you old man! Those are the little tenth shaving tricks that I'm looking for out here. if there's any more please keep them coming! thank you!

IF you isolate your voltage regulator from the ground,(so it won't charge) and make a small bracket and switch, on the throttle. With a wire from the voltage regulator to the switch on the carburetor. Adj the switch to go open at full throttle.

Now you have a charging alternator that free spins going down the 1/4 mile.

I just pull the field wire off the alt, taking away all magnetic resistance,, basically making the alternator an idler,, and loosen the belt off, so the crank pulley slips like heck under accel.. and catches up at lower rpm, to turn the water pump , down the return road..

hope it helps

IF you isolate your voltage regulator from the ground,(so it won't charge) and make a small bracket and switch, on the throttle. With a wire from the voltage regulator to the switch on the carburetor. Adj the switch to go open at full throttle.

Now you have a charging alternator that free spins going down the 1/4 mile.

I do actually have the switch on my dash for the 12 volt feed to the regulator that I switch on and off when I start the car and shut it off because I was having a problem with finding a 12 volt source. everything was nine volts which was giving the regulator and under reading which was making it over charge. so I have a direct 12 volt wire from the battery to the switch to the regulator.

- Low voltage (<12v) will cause less spark-energy which can cause slower ET.
- Evenso, are you running the coil with or without a ballast resistor? Without one will let the coil make more spark-energy, but it will heat up a bit more aswell. Mount it in a cool place.
- That plastic fan is pretty useless imo.

Any more enginebay pics?

- Low voltage (<12v) will cause less spark-energy which can cause slower ET.
- Evenso, are you running the coil with or without a ballast resistor? Without one will let the coil make more spark-energy, but it will heat up a bit more aswell. Mount it in a cool place.
- That plastic fan is pretty useless imo.

Any more enginebay pics?

Engine bay pics.... before little electric motor. The plastic fan works fine, and much lighter.
View attachment 20140630_175154-1.jpg

View attachment 20140630_175210.jpg

- Always run the highest psi in the rear tires which still provide grip.
- One or two revolutions of tire slip from the start can even help improve times when you don't have much torque @ low rpms in the engine.
- With how much rpm do you cross the line?
- Did you time and curve the ignition properly?

I just put a little electric motor for the water pump and fan.
I Drive to the track, and hopefully back! :burnout:View attachment 1714743529

Just a heads up. My friend and I installed the Moroso electric water pump drives on our cars at approximately the same time (like what you have in the picture). The only difference was he put a plastic fan on the water pump drive and I used my electric fan...he has now killed 2 of those electric water pump motors and I'm still on my original. I would be willing to be those things don't like the extra drag of the fan on that little electric motor. My point being, you might want to bring a spare electric motor with you, especially if you drive on the street...JMO.

I don't have the part number with me at work, but I know you can get those motors from Autozone for like 15-20 bucks (squirrel cage motor) as apposed to the 60+ dollars that Moroso charges.

- Always run the highest psi in the rear tires which still provide grip.
- One or two revolutions of tire slip from the start can even help improve times when you don't have much torque @ low rpms in the engine.
- With how much rpm do you cross the line?
- Did you time and curve the ignition properly?

I'll do a heavy day of testing and tuning as far as the RPMs go September 13th that Saturday when my son comes to town and we raced the car again. As far as the ignition timing curve I haven't. Except for it's probably just stock 318 . I did buy a timing light so I intend on doing a lot of testing on timing and maybe some possible carburation tuning.I did mechanic shop in high school and I've always worked on my own car but this is literally the first track car I've ever had so there is a lot to learn, hence a lot of threads have been making just to learn more

Just a heads up. My friend and I installed the Moroso electric water pump drives on our cars at approximately the same time (like what you have in the picture). The only difference was he put a plastic fan on the water pump drive and I used my electric fan...he has now killed 2 of those electric water pump motors and I'm still on my original. I would be willing to be those things don't like the extra drag of the fan on that little electric motor. My point being, you might want to bring a spare electric motor with you, especially if you drive on the street...JMO.

I don't have the part number with me at work, but I know you can get those motors from Autozone for like 15-20 bucks (squirrel cage motor) as apposed to the 60+ dollars that Moroso charges.

if you get the part number I would love to have it! As for now I just carry the water pump pulley with me and old belt in case of an emergency. I have really no time on the car since I installed the little motor. Again waiting for my son to come to town before I go blow up the car! Lol what was the shortest time the motor lasted? Like do you think I'll make the 5 miles to the track about 10- 15 passes and the five miles back before the motor goes out?

if you get the part number I would love to have it! As for now I just carry the water pump pulley with me and old belt in case of an emergency. I have really no time on the car since I installed the little motor. Again waiting for my son to come to town before I go blow up the car! Lol what was the shortest time the motor lasted? Like do you think I'll make the 5 miles to the track about 10- 15 passes and the five miles back before the motor goes out?

I keep my water pump pulley and a spare belt in the car too....just in case :D. My buddy's electric water pump drive quit after just a couple months of use if that helps. Mine is currently going on 3 years of off and on use...sometimes when I know I'm not going to be racing for a while, but I am going to be driving on the street a lot, I put the regular pulley back on just for piece of minds sake.

-
Back