Alternator Bracket Help Needed

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I need some help mounting the alternator on my 66 Dart. It was a factory 273 engine but I am upgrading to a 360 and using factory J heads. The first question I have is can anyone take a pic or post of pic of how the factory bracket fits up? I am posting a pic I found of the main bracket, however it is one I found on the net and not mine. The main bracket is the same but the slider for adjustment bracket is similar but not mine. This one looks as tho it has been cut. I didnt have my camera with me tonight to take a pic of my brackets. I cant believe I didnt take any pics before I tore it off and its not like all the setups I have done in the past.
Thanks in advance for any help you can throw my way.
View attachment dart alt bracket.jpg
Rod

Best pics I have.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJHJCwE-lgbs0YiBPvWRTzgQ!~~_4.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 211
  • $(KGrHqN,!hkFCdRsDI5VBQ6D82cM0Q~~60_3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 213
65cuda, thanks. That shows me the bracket comes from the bottom and the slide is on the top. I'll give it a shot again tomorrow and see how it fits.
Rod

I think the 67 is the newer style but I'm not positive. I'm thinkin it's the plate with 3 holes on a triangler type shape for the later years.
Thanks
Rod

As I recall, the factory alt bracket in my 65 273 wouldn't fit after I changed to a later aluminum water pump (thicker). Probably why I changed to an aftermarket chrome alt bracket and adj arm ($17 ebay). I also bought some chrome spacers at Ace. Does your 360 engine still have its alum w.p.?

Bill, you may be right as I did change to a newer water pump so the outlet was on the passenger side. Guess I should start to look at a newer style mounting! Ill check it out tomorrow and let you know.
Thanks Rod

Later brackets on my 360.

Attachments

• 20130508_161901.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 158
Bill was right. It looks as tho I am about 5/8" to far out because of the newer style water pump. If I fabricate a spacer behind the bracket it looks as tho it may work. I appears the pulleys will still line up but I dont have the balancer on yet to check the lower pulley alignment. Hope to check that this weekend. Thanks again for the information. Ill keep you informed as I go forward.
Rod

If you are using a later style water pump, then the lower radiator hose will also be on the wrong side for the stock 66 Radiator.

The correct pump and radiator has the lower hose on the drivers side.

I bought the radiator that has lower outlet on passenger to match water pump. Should be good there.
Rod

The bracket in the first pic is pre 67. Has a hole that oil stick passes through. It was overkill really. Later model alternators that had 2 belts that also carried the a/c had a similar ( heavy duty ) bracket underneath the alternator.
If I had to choose and/or gathering parts I would want the later model brackets, fuel pump and fuel supply line routing too. That line has the fuel filter placed vertically down in front of the water pump.

-
Back