alternator bracket

-

pilgrim 33

Reaction score
hi friends...just got a barn find 1960 valiant, 4dr, red, A200, but missing a few parts. can you tell me what side of the engine the alternator goes on? I have seen them on both sides in internet pics. I have mounting holes tapped into my block on both sides of the engine so an alternator bracket could mount on either side and the other holes could be for a power steering or a/c bracket....any help out there?

What engine? Darts had only 6 cyl until 1964. I don't know about 1960 cars. Might have even had flat-heads then. On both slants and V-8's, the alternator mounted on the passenger side in cars, but some trucks mounted it on the driver's side (only slants?). Many photos here.

Yours should be passenger side, w/ same brackets as all the photos in the Slant Six forum.

1960 was the first year for an alternator. I think the alternator started out on the drivers side. (my voltage regulator is on the driver side behind the headlight assembly) and was moved over to the passenger side about mid year.

I've seen a very early 60 Valiant with a generator on the driver side of the engine. It looked strange to me but was an all original car according to the owner. My 62 Valiant had an alternator on the passenger side like every other slant six I've ever seen.

-
Back