Alternator Changed...Battery Still dies

-

ninoshrv

Reaction score
I changed my alternator yesterday becasue my battery was being drained. I also completely charged the battery. Once the alternator was replaced, the car started fine with no problems. After I woke up this morning, I drove the car for about 30 minutes. On the way back home, the radio stopped working, the signal lights stopped working, and the headlights stopped working also. The car was still running fine. WHen I pulled into my driveway, I shut the car off and tried to restart it. The battery was completely dead. Do you guys know what might be the problem??

Need a lot more basic informtion: Car & year? Ammeter in dash? Voltmeter in dash? Do you have access to a voltmeter to take some tests? I would guess the alternator is not working, new or not. It could be wiring or the regulator.

Need a lot more basic informtion: Car & year? Ammeter in dash? Voltmeter in dash? Do you have access to a voltmeter to take some tests? I would guess the alternator is not working, new or not. It could be wiring or the regulator.

Also check if you have a short draining your battery.

i think im going to change the voltage regulator and then see what happens...thanks guys

No need to change the regulator until you know for sure if that's the problem unless you like to spend money needlessly. I'm guessing you already changed the alternator which may have been good. You need to troubleshoot what you have and go from there.

Primitive but it works. I start by disconnecting the positive on the battery and hooking up a 12V test light between the battery + and the battery terminal. With everything shut off and doors closed the light should not be lite. Sometimes the bleed down is so small that you have to do this in the dark to see if the bulb is glowing at all. If it is, I have someone watch the bulb as I pull each fuse. if the bulb quits glowing that is the circuit with the short in it. If you pull all of them and it's still glowing then your problem is most likely in the charging system.

Jim

ive actually run into the same problem recently.. still trying to figure it out, reading around ive come to the possible conclusion of a dying battery? im not sure, im goin to use another battery and see if that is my problem.. hope you figure out whats making your car do it, and if so let me know

A DVM would great to diagnose the issue. you can probably pick one up fairly cheap at auto zone. Without one, its going to take a lot of extra time to diagnose it. Disconnect something and let it sit to see if it kills the battery, if not, move on. I would start with the alternator for sure cause its the most likely suspect. After that, Ignition coil, brake light switch, and maybe the ignition switch itself.

-
Back