Alternator connections

-

DartGT360

Reaction score
Just got an alternator for my 69 Dart GT projject. It is a re-manufactured original. There are 3 connection points. 1 larger terminal and 2 push on terminals. The wire harnes that is in the car only has 2 wires. The larger terminal and 1 push on.

Question is why 2 push on terminals and only 1 wire? Am I missing something? Does it matter what push on I connect?

"Push on" means male and female "flat" terminals

Thanks

The two flat terminals are called field terminals.

The early cars (pre 70) had only one field wire and a solid state voltage regulator.

The 70 and later had two field wires and the electronic voltage regulator.

The double field wire distributors can have one of the field wires grounded to make it a single field...

Or you can get a single field alternator to match the original configuration.

Or you can get the 70 and later wiring diagram and convert it to the newer style electronic voltage regulator to run the double filed alt... You may want to be sure that the previous owner did not try to convert it already....

Thanks. Not sure what to do now. My car is a project car that the builder passed away before it was finished. To honour him I want to finish his project. I don't know what parts he changed. There are several modifications and I can't talk to anyone who knows the car. Is there a way to identify if he has changed the voltage regulator? Should I assume the single flat end wire is original and get another alternator (single field)? As you can tell I am a newbie. First Mopar. Was a Ford guy.

Do your self a favor,replace the engine harness and front head light harness, go to the electronic way.can you post pics.

early type voltage regulator is mounted on the firewall and has only 2 wires attached. blue on one end ( top I think ) and green on the other ( bottom ). A ring terminal and a push on. Later regulator has a single molded plug going into the face side of it.
Many of us have added that plug and a length of blue wire to upgrade to the isolated field charging system. I wont agree with replacing the original wiring harnesses. That depends on what condition its in.

Thanks. Not sure what to do now. My car is a project car that the builder passed away before it was finished. To honour him I want to finish his project. I don't know what parts he changed. There are several modifications and I can't talk to anyone who knows the car. Is there a way to identify if he has changed the voltage regulator? Should I assume the single flat end wire is original and get another alternator (single field)? As you can tell I am a newbie. First Mopar. Was a Ford guy.

Take some pictures of your engine compartment and post them. We can tell you what you have...

We need to see where you are now, then we can direct you which path you want to go down...

Hi,

This is likely an example of some rebuilders getting creative and adapting 1970 and up core unit s to fit 69 and earlier. You will likely find one field flag terminal is insulated from the case and one is grounded to the case. You want to connect to the one that is insulated from the case. Ignore the grounded one. People who have connected the green field wire to the wrong one often wind up with a blown regulator and a non working alternator. Of course there are no instructions in the box telling you which terminal to use.

You need to ........find out WHICH REGULATOR the car has. It may have been converted. And rather than "just connect" it check it out and find out. Simple continuity check will tell if the new one has a grounded field. The 70/later "isolated field" should show NO continuity to ground from either field terminal. These are often (incorrectly) called "dual field"

Old style regulator, 69 and earlier----One field terminal is grounded, remaining hooks to regulator

vr012.png

1970 and later VR requires isolated field

MN2180.JPG

... Should I assume the single flat end wire is original and get another alternator (single field)? As you can tell I am a newbie. ...
Newbie is no problem, but even newbie's need to take the time to read responses to their post. You can use the existing alternator, regardless of which Vreg you have or get. Post #2 was very clear about that. In general, the later alternators (2 field terminals) are better.

This topic has been covered a gazillion times, w/ many photos. Use Search and look for posts from 67Dart273. Searching from google (add "forabodiesonly") works best for me.

-
Back