alternator getting hot!

-

35regal

Reaction score
my alternator got hot , when i left the key for an hour or alittle more and the engine wasnt started. is this normal , 67 cuda . thanks!

I hope you mean you ACCIDENTLY left the key on. I'm surprised it didn't hurt the ignition, what are you running for a system?

So far as the alternator, I'm actually surprised. All it should be drawing is field current, would be "same difference" as if it was charging hard for an hour.

drive around for a couple hours in the middle of the day and slap your hand on it. should be plenty hot. i'm supprised it didn't fry the coil

drive around for a couple hours in the middle of the day and slap your hand on it. should be plenty hot. i'm supprised it didn't fry the coil

Ya, but most of that heat is generated because it is actually DOING WORK, IE bearing friction, heat transferred to the rotor by belt friction, and heat generated by the stator windings and the diodes.

In this case, all he has going on is a couple of amps of rotor (field) current

The stator/ diodes should be "same as" any other time the car is shut down.

You would have to define hot. It is normal for it to warm up.

Ya, but most of that heat is generated because it is actually DOING WORK, IE bearing friction, heat transferred to the rotor by belt friction, and heat generated by the stator windings and the diodes.

In this case, all he has going on is a couple of amps of rotor (field) current

The stator/ diodes should be "same as" any other time the car is shut down.

True, with ignition on but engine not running, the alternator is not "doing work". It is also not being cooled by fan-forced airflow, so the small current running through the field will heat it up.

yep, i accidently left it on. im bad with wiring ,and i thought i might have a wiring issue, thanks!!

-
Back