alternator mounting pics

-

red cuda

Reaction score
So, I got my new alt brackets in, but I cant figure out how they mount. its like they need a ton of spacers to bring it out to line up the belts. I would like to see some pictures, to get an idea. Thanks.

Year model of engine / pump/ timing cover AND PHOTOS of brackets would help. The simplest of brackets, IE no AC are only three pieces........that is the bracket, the spacer, and the tensioner, other than the bolt(s)

I started from scratch. the block is 78, the heads are 80s model fast burn. I bought these off ebay.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-STYLE-CHROME-ALTERNATOR-BRACKET-318-340-360-SMALL-BLOCK-MOPAR-DODGE-/251505344699?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8ee300bb&vxp=mtr"]Small Block Mopar Chrome Alternator Bracket 318 340 360 Chrysler Mopar Dodge | eBay[/ame]

Oh.......well.............aftermarket. There are two spacers that go on the alternator. One goes behind the alternator between the alternator and the head. Notice that the alternator rear ear has a moving bushing which allows a bit of movement. The other spacer goes between the two ears. If you line up the long bolt that goes completely through the alternator with the head, with the one lone hole in the bracket, then the bracket can only go two ways. This will tell you the two pump bolts which the bracket matches to

The tensioner bolts one end under the bottom bracket bolt at the pump

What you still need is the two spacers for the alternator. Mine is tore down, or I'd go take a photo of the fit. I'm sure some of the guys here can do that

Here's a photo I found on the www

EDIT I see I was posting at the same time as burder, LOL

This may vary over the years. Notice that the bracket goes on the INSIDE of the alternator ear on this setup

attachment.jpg

The triangular bracket goes onto the water pump holes first, then the long slotted one in the lower hole over the truangular bracket.

Then put the front ear in front of the triangular bracket hole, then the bracket, then the long spacer, then the rear ear of the alternator, then the small spacer in the rear; Then the long alternator bolt goes into the block after passing through all of those in that order.

View attachment Ken 360 041114 Fuel Line A02 B.jpg

View attachment Ken 360 041114 Pulley A01 B2.jpg

View attachment Ken 360 041114 Fuel Line A01 B.jpg

View attachment Ken 360 041114 Fuel Line A05 B.jpg

it looks like I may need a deeper water pump pulley. im gonna try everything tomorrow.

Hello, well I got my alternator brackets on with new alternator, now my belts are a bit off. the pump seems to be a little far forward. did mopar make different lengths water pumps. I have a single groove pulley. do I need the double groove, or a deeper single groove? not sure what to do here.

I believe these brackets were bent differently from early to late pumps. Are you sure everything is matched that is do you have "all early" or "all late" components?

That is, Does the timing cover have the timing marks on driver side? (late) Does the water pump outlet come out the pass side? (late) and do you know what the pulleys are off of?

Sometimes you can "cheat." You can sometimes use a double pulley alternator, and just use the pulley that lines up. Sometimes you can put the alternator ear "on the wrong side" of the bracket ear, and make different spacers up for the bolt.

What options are you trying to run? A/C? P/S?

For A/C, you'll need a 3 groove crank pulley and a double groove alt pulley.

If you are running just P/S without A/C, then a double crank pulley and a single alt pulley.

i just have the alternator. i got it set up, but it still doesn't line up. the alt is still too far back. my crank pulley is 3 groove, and my water pump pulley is 1 groove. i had to start from scratch. i had the partial set up, which was the crank, and water pump pulley, and they were from a engine with AC. whitepunkonnitro says i need a matching set from a non AC engine.

i just have the alternator. i got it set up, but it still doesn't line up. the alt is still too far back. my crank pulley is 3 groove, and my water pump pulley is 1 groove. i had to start from scratch. i had the partial set up, which was the crank, and water pump pulley, and they were from a engine with AC. whitepunkonnitro says i need a matching set from a non AC engine.

With a single water pump pulley, you will need a single groove alternator pulley. Then go with a double groove crank pulley. Keep in mind that there are some crank dampers with a symmetrical bolt pattern for the pulley, and others non-symmetrical bolt pattern. If you get the wrong pulley, five out of six of the holes will line up, but you can always "egg shape" the odd hole and get it to fit the sixth bolt. But it's best to try to get the right pulley in the first place.

Mancini Racing sells pulleys new. I would be careful about the water pump pulley. I have two new looking ones, I can't remember where I got them, but they have too much runout (wobble) when I spin them, I can see the groove moving back and fourth. I found two old "rusty" ones and they are fine, just have to clean them up and paint them....

If whitepunk has a set, I have dealt with him, and he's good to deal with.

According to the instruction sheets for the Bouchillon Performance kit # BPE 5251:

The long spacer is 2.105" long

The short spacer is 1.210" long

Some hardware stores carry 3/8" spacers. I would think that you would be able to go to a hardware store (Like a local Ace) and buy 3/8" spacers in 2" and 1.25" and get them to work. The long bolt for the alternator that the spacers go on is also 3/8" x 16 x 5" length.

Some of the hardware stores also carry the "generic" 3/8" spacers in chrome plated, but some keep them in the back and you have to ask.

According to the instruction sheets for the Bouchillon Performance kit # BPE 5251:

The long spacer is 2.105" long

The short spacer is 1.210" long

Some hardware stores carry 3/8" spacers. I would think that you would be able to go to a hardware store (Like a local Ace) and buy 3/8" spacers in 2" and 1.25" and get them to work. The long bolt for the alternator that the spacers go on is also 3/8" x 16 x 5" length.

Some of the hardware stores also carry the "generic" 3/8" spacers in chrome plated, but some keep them in the back and you have to ask.
@krazykuda
Thanks for posting the pics and spacer dimensions. You saved me a lot of time and frustration getting my pulley setup correct.

-
Back