Alternator oopsie

-

SKnight

Reaction score
Let me set the scene.

My dart has been down on power, it’s been fast but I felt it was lacking. Frustrated I grabbed the distributor and “added a bit of ignition lead” to see what happened.

That fixed it, oh what a difference. Ran it through the gears, when I shifted to second high in the 5,000RPM range my headlights went dim and the gauge dropped into the 11V range. Odd that, luckily I was close to home.

Tonight I diagnosed it and found something unexpected. Anyone got a stator lying around?
7593ADC8-E51B-48C0-BDAA-C4930609DADB.jpeg

YOU MAY NEED more than a stator. That can be caused by bad bearings, bent rotor shaft, OR THE STATOR WORE ITSELF GROOVES in the case halves and will never be "right" again.

YOU MAY NEED more than a stator. That can be caused by bad bearings, bent rotor shaft, OR THE STATOR WORE ITSELF GROOVES in the case halves and will never be "right" again.
In all the years I’ve been doing this it’s the first time I’ve seen this happen. When I saw that I just took a quick picture and headed to bed.

I’ll do more diagnostic work tonight, I’m very curious as to how this happened.

Take a REAL good look at the housing halves and look for grooves worn by vibration where the stator "seats" in the housing. I've blown up "a few" of these back in the old days. I once figured out I think the old 440-6 had a 4:1 pulley ratio, meaning, if the crank is at 5500, the alternator is turning 22 THOUSAND

Yeah, I figured it was over stressed, I checked the tell tale tach and it was at 6200, whoops. I replaced it with an MPA unit one of my warehouses hooked me up with, the lights flickered so bad it made me sick on the “hoping it will wear in and straighten out” test drive. I did confirm the regulator is giving a nice solid signal across the ground wire so I suppose I’ll be returning this new one.

-
Back