ALTERNATOR OUTPUT

-

No electrical mods other than MSD ignition

26 volt reading came from the batt post on the alternator with engine running at idle. Alternator is a round back, field wire rebuilt one, vr is new electronic type, wiring is new painless system

View attachment 1716139359

View attachment 1716139361

View attachment 1716139362

View attachment 1716139363

View attachment 1716139359

View attachment 1716139361

View attachment 1716139362

View attachment 1716139363 one field wire rebuilt one, vr is new electronic type, wiring is new painless system
So which is it? Stock except ignition or new painless system? They aren't the same

FOUND IT! Replaced alternator, no more over charge.

Thanks to all that replied.

That is a good question, all I know is after I replaced the alternator my over charge problem went away

Any part numbers on the defective alt (I assume it is a rebuilt)

I would be interested to know if you somehow got a 24v alternator?
I would be interested to know if you somehow got a 24v alternator?
If it uses an external VR, the VR would also have to be 24V, to cause a problem. If you connect a 24V alternator to a 12V VR, the VR will just back it down until it's 14V. It is likely that a 24V will not put out the current that a same class 12V will. Think power. So many watts

I WOULD BET MONEY that this problem could have been easily fixed in a few minutes with an ohmeter or at least the exact problem found. You are talking about an electromagnet, a pair of slip rings, and two brushes.

I've been screwing with this stuff for one hell of a long time. 1967 is when I first wrapped my hands around an automotive alternator.

If it uses an external VR, the VR would also have to be 24V, to cause a problem. If you connect a 24V alternator to a 12V VR, the VR will just back it down until it's 14V. It is likely that a 24V will not put out the current that a same class 12V will. Think power. So many watts
Not sure....

The vr regulates the field current. Electromechanical type might not know anything about voltage just keeping the current at a desired level regardless of voltage?

Just spitballing!

I would really like to try to duplicate the symptoms, if you apply 12v to the field I'm not sure you will get 24 to 26 volts, but I have never fully fielded an alternator

-
Back