Alternator question

-

Black 69 Dart

Reaction score
How is the hemi alt wired in? Do they have internal regulator and is it one wire to battery and one for ground? Any help is appreciated
Trevor

They are external reg.

Operation

The threaded post is the battery connection

The two pin plug in back of the alt allows the PCM to govern when the regulator goes into "charge" mode.

Wiring

Can't help you on where the two pin plug wire goes fro the back of the alt.....maybe one goes to "field" and the other to the PCM?

...or maybe both go to the reg?

I for the life of me cannot remember on the new stuff. But if it has two insulated field terminals, you can either use a common 70/later Mopar regulator, or ground one terminal and use the "good quality" replacement for the 69/ earlier regulator (Standard VR-128 or Echlin / NAPA Vr-1001)

They are external reg.

Operation

The threaded post is the battery connection

The two pin plug in back of the alt allows the PCM to govern when the regulator goes into "charge" mode.

Wiring

Can't help you on where the two pin plug wire goes fro the back of the alt.....maybe one goes to "field" and the other to the PCM?

...or maybe both go to the reg?

I am not using the factory PCM, going to the FAST xfi system and need to figure out how to hook the alt.

You can use a standard Chrysler voltage regulator
as in the following diagram.

diagtam_2.gif

I had a alternator shop make mine a 1 wire alt out of my 06 hemi alt. he just installed a tiny voltage regulator on back of case--No problems since--Steve

-
Back