Alternator

-

Bills70

Reaction score
if I disconnect my positive cable on Battery and engine stops, does that mean my alternator is bad or could it be something else? I am on my way to have alternator check after this post! I noticed that voltage on my volts meter was going down the longer I drove car so I pulled cable and car stopped running!

The battery has to be hooked up & in working condition for the voltage needed for the car to run............

you do have some charging problems it could be the ALT or the regulator or a wiring problem. start with checking your alt while there get a new voltage reg good to have a spare anyways.

if the car is charging taking the bat post off will not stop the engine but if it's not charging it will die .

if the car is charging taking the bat post off will not stop the engine but if it's not charging it will die .
I just got back from autozone, alternator is bad! I just wanted to know if the duster was the same as my old chevy's that is if it would keep running if you pulled the cable off batt.

you do have some charging problems it could be the ALT or the regulator or a wiring problem. start with checking your alt while there get a new voltage reg good to have a spare anyways.
I put all new wiring and a new regulator on the car. I just got back from autozone and alternator is bad but I have to wait till Monday to get the new one!

a handy way to quickly check an alternator / regulator at home is to touch a piece of iron to the back center of the alternator. If it is charging there will be a magnetic pull. BUT it does not say if it is the alt or the voltage reg just that it is charging or not.

NOTE: watch for exposed posts on the back of the alt.

PLEASE DO NOT DO this stupid "old wive's tale" so called test

FIRST it does not always prove anything, and second the surge / spike can hurt electronics

WHY this test does not work:

Situation A: Your alternator is actually working properly, but it's an older "round back." They sometimes don't "pick up" when idling slow. In this case you might remove the cable, and the thing might be turning too slowly to charge, and the engine dies. YOU think the charging system is "bad."

Situation B: Your alternator only puts out a "little." Maybe the stater is shorted, or all but one diod is bad. You remove the cable and the thing keeps right on running, and you think, "OK!!". BUT NOT The alternator may only be putting out a small amount

Learn to check your system yourself ON THE CAR. You need to go the MyMopar and download a free shop manual, and you need a multimeter, and you need "us."

WHAT YEAR MAKE MODEL IS THE CAR!!??

I agree with 67Dart273. Unhooking the battery cable on a running car can cause a voltage spike that can blow out everything electrical on a car. Search "load dump" on Google and you can see how serious a problem it is. Modern alternators have Zener or avalanche type diodes that will absorb these spikes in case a battery cable comes loose or is removed while the alternator is charging. This is also one reason to update to a late model alternator if you are upgrading the electronics on your car.

I agree with 67Dart273. Unhooking the battery cable on a running car can cause a voltage spike that can blow out everything electrical on a car. Search "load dump" on Google and you can see how serious a problem it is. Modern alternators have Zener or avalanche type diodes that will absorb these spikes in case a battery cable comes loose or is removed while the alternator is charging. This is also one reason to update to a late model alternator if you are upgrading the electronics on your car.
I learn something everyday! thanks

FIRST it does not always prove anything, and second the surge / spike can hurt electronics

Situation A: Your alternator is actually working properly, but it's an older "round back." They sometimes don't "pick up" when idling slow. In this case you might remove the cable, and the thing might be turning too slowly to charge, and the engine dies. YOU think the charging system is "bad."

Situation B: Your alternator only puts out a "little." Maybe the stater is shorted, or all but one diod is bad. You remove the cable and the thing keeps right on running, and you think, "OK!!". BUT NOT The alternator may only be putting out a small amount
thanks

ok thanks

Learn to check your system yourself ON THE CAR. You need to go the MyMopar and download a free shop manual, and you need a multimeter, and you need "us."

WHAT YEAR MAKE MODEL IS THE CAR!!??
I have a multimeter, you would think that by 70 I would have learnt how to use it, I guess it is time, thanks for the push!

The battery has to be hooked up & in working condition for the voltage needed for the car to run............

The battery is only needed to start the car... After the engine is running, the alternator provides all the power to run the engine and replace the charge in the battery that was used to start it...

So if the charging system is working and you disconnect the negative cable, the engine will stay running... If the alternator is not putting out enough power, the car will die...

If the alternator does not put out enough power, it will suck it out of the battery until the battery dies...

The battery is only needed to start the car... After the engine is running, the alternator provides all the power to run the engine and replace the charge in the battery that was used to start it...

So if the charging system is working and you disconnect the negative cable, the engine will stay running... If the alternator is not putting out enough power, the car will die...

If the alternator does not put out enough power, it will suck it out of the battery until the battery dies...
thanks

Some simple tests you can do. I try to "group" a possible charging problem into the alternator, the regulator, the field side wiring, and the output wiring or "charging wire"

Many guys jump in and jumper the field to bypass the regulator and field wiring. But you have to be CAREFUL with this because a (prevalant and common) problem in the bulkhead connector wiring can mean that the output path to the battery is broken.

1..So if the thing is not charging adequately, judging by the battery voltage, first move the meter from battery to alternator output stud and see how that compares, with engine running to simulate "low to medium cruise." If the alternator output is about the same, likely the charge path is OK. If that stud is sky high, then you have a broken circuit path there

2...If the first check is OK, now full field the alternator. There is a couple of ways to do this, and depending if you have a problem in the field wiring, this could lead you astray. So disconnect the green alternator field wire (comes from regulator) and connect a "clip" lead to ground. You should be able to see a small spark in subdued light. With that wire connected, and key in "run", check the BLUE alternator field to be certain you have "close to same as" battery voltage. So now the blue is OK, the field is drawing current.

Start the car, monitor battery voltage, and see if battery voltage comes up. Don't let it get above 16V. If that happens, turn on all accessories, lights, heater, etc, and see if you can maintain 15V at least. If so, the blue field wiring, the alternator, and the charge path are all OK

3....VR and field wiring. You have already checked the blue. We had someone on here had a green field wire shorted to ground. This can happen, the harness abraids, melts to the intake/ engine, etc

So reconnect the green field wire, disconnect the VR connector. Work it in/ out several times to "scrub" the terminals, and to "feel" for tightness, and inspect for corrosion "Rig" something like machine screws into the connector, and jumper across the two with a clip lead. This will put 12V on the green wire. NOW go back to the alternator and this time disconnect and ground the field where the BLUE was connected. This now, will again full field the alternator, but will be using the green wire and the VR IGN terminal for a source.

Check AGAIN that the thing will charge.

VR: Unfortunately Mopar used both the ignition box and the VR case AS PART OF the circuit. BOTH these boxes must be grounded to operate. Unbolt them, scrape around the bolt holes on the firewall and boxes, and remount with star lock washers.

VOLTAGE DROP: COMMON over-charge problems are due to voltage drop in the ignition harness. To check for this, access the ballast resistor "key" terminal and run your meter from there to battery POS. Turn the key to run............you are hoping for a very low reading, the lower the better. ANY drop over about .3V you need to look into. Bulkhead connector, ignition switch, connectors and wiring in that path. Any drop there is ADDED to the nominal 14V the regulator charges. So if you have 1.5V drop, the battery will "see" 15.5V

Check the GROUND path for drop. To do that run the engine, run this check first with all accessories off, and again, with heater, lights, etc powered. Run engine at "low to medium cruise." Stab one probe into the metal mount of the VR. Stab the other into the battery NEG post. Again, you want the lower the better, zero is perfect

Only thing worth adding for those who may not be familiar with the difference. The OP mentioned
I noticed that voltage on my volts meter was going down the longer I drove
If the car was retrofitted with voltmeter installed, carry on.
But for those reading who have a factory ammeters and see the meter goes to 0 (centered) after driving a little bit, that's normal.

Only thing worth adding for those who may not be familiar with the difference. The OP mentioned

If the car was retrofitted with voltmeter installed, carry on.
But for those reading who have a factory ammeters and see the meter goes to 0 (centered) after driving a little bit, that's normal.
I put my new alternator on and everything is working fine! I want to thank everyone for the reply's!

-
Back