Aluminum Brazing Rods

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Have any of you folks tried out the aluminum brazing/soldering rods like muggy weld? I think harbor freight makes something similar as well. Were you satisfied with them???

I'm trying to join a couple small pieces of 1/8" aluminum plate with a lap joint and don't have access to a tig welder. I've thought about epoxy like JB weld, but figured those brazing rods may work. What would you do?

If it's a lap joint can you rivet or bolt them? You can probably find a welder in the phone book that can tig that for you for a six pack. Just tossing out ideas...

Little more background. Lap Joint. Are you looking for any kind of shear strength? Is this structural, decorative? How large a piece? There are bonding materials made specifically for this kind of joint. I want to say 3M fusor is one such item. There is also a 3M product called VHB. Very High Bond which is a double side tape. Lots of choices out there.

The aluminum brazing rods are a joke. Gas welding Aluminum can be done but is a lost art.

As others mentioned, there are alternatives but we need more info.

We "were going" to use some back in the 80's, the boss ended up rigging up a tig. Anyhow, the aluminum rod / flux makes a HORRID mess of flame, difficult to see through it

There IS a solution if you can find them, and they are the old so called "cobalt blue" filters used for glass work. Caveats:

The world is polluted with stuff "called" cobalt blue, most "isn't"

Real cobalt blue filters OUT red, and LETS IN ultra violet

"How to tell" if they are "real." If you try on these filters in a shop with fluorescent lighting, white objects such as T shirts and sheet rock glow as if you are in a dark room with black lighting

You must be careful, don't use them in the sunlight if possible. They can damage your eyes as they allow all ultra violet IN while allowing your pupils to open.

I have used the HTS-2000 brazing rods from here: https://www.aluminumrepair.com/

They work with a standard acetylene gas rig.

You need to get the aluminum very clean, as it oxides very quickly when heated. Aluminum also melts at a lower temperature then steel and dissipates the heat from the heated area very rapidly. Where steel changes color when it is time to add filler, aluminum just melts, so the process requires some practice.

Welding aluminum with a gas rig requires the correct flux and filler rod. Requires a lot of practice and is not as forgiving as welding steel.

Little more background. Lap Joint. Are you looking for any kind of shear strength? Is this structural, decorative? How large a piece? There are bonding materials made specifically for this kind of joint. I want to say 3M fusor is one such item. There is also a 3M product called VHB. Very High Bond which is a double side tape. Lots of choices out there.

I'm looking to extend a stock fan shroud because I'm bolting it to an aftermarket Champion aluminum radiator. The sides bolt up, but there is about a 1" gap to the radiator on top and bottom that I'm not happy with. I was planning on epoxying (and riveting) a few aluminum tabs on the shroud, then attaching somehow a strip of 1" x 1/8" aluminum bar down the length of the top and bottom of the shroud. I just need to figure out how I'll join the 1/8" thick tabs to the 1/8" thick filler strips.

Thanks for the input. I guess these are a no-go???

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-low-temperature-aluminum-welding-rods-44810.html

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-AL3-Aluminum-Brazing-and-Welding-Rods-334491/203710179

If it's a lap joint can you rivet or bolt them? You can probably find a welder in the phone book that can tig that for you for a six pack. Just tossing out ideas...

I may end up using epoxy and rivets, but the rivets will definitely look hokey. Unfortunately, around where I live, local welders, would charge A LOT more than a six pack to do any sort of TIG welding. Thanks for the input though. I appreciate it.

Gotcha. I'm lucky - there are a couple of friends of mine with Tig setups that work for beers....lol. I wouldn't worry too much about looking hokey. If things are done with some care to make it look like you meant it to be seen, people will think it's cool.

Have any of you folks tried out the aluminum brazing/soldering rods like muggy weld? I think harbor freight makes something similar as well. Were you satisfied with them???

I'm trying to join a couple small pieces of 1/8" aluminum plate with a lap joint and don't have access to a tig welder. I've thought about epoxy like JB weld, but figured those brazing rods may work. What would you do?

the aluminum welding rods work for small thin stuff, I would never use it for any type of support. I did use it to fill in a couple of holes in my headlight bezels on my 66 dart and to repair a tear or 2 on the bezels(came out great BTW). other than that it's not good for much.

I'd find a welding shop and have them do a quick TIG on the pieces , it really shouldn't cost much. I've had a local welder/fabrication shop near me do a couple 2ft or so welds for my new homebuilt "CNC" test bed and they cost about 25.00 or so each time.

the aluminum welding rods work for small thin stuff, I would never use it for any type of support. I did use it to fill in a couple of holes in my headlight bezels on my 66 dart and to repair a tear or 2 on the bezels(came out great BTW). other than that it's not good for much.

I'd find a welding shop and have them do a quick TIG on the pieces , it really shouldn't cost much. I've had a local welder/fabrication shop near me do a couple 2ft or so welds for my new homebuilt "CNC" test bed and they cost about 25.00 or so each time.

Thanks for the input. I'll swing by the welding supply place and see if they know any locals that would do it for me. I'll report back with any prices I get. I'd bet there's probably about 12" of total weld. My guess is someone would want $150. We shall see...

Thanks again guys.

-
Back