Aluminum or Magnesium?????

-

HEMI-ITIS

PRO TOW
Reaction score
I have an old set of hemi valve covers by DART,how can I tell if they are aluminum or magnesium???

****!!! 018.jpg

You could always get a torch and heat one til it starts to melt. If it catches on fire and burns up, it's magnesium. That seems a bit extreme, though.

you could get some aluminum cleaner and see if it reacts with the valve covers. get a wire brush and brush a spot first before putting aluminum cleaner on.

Take a sharp knife & scrape a couple of very small shavings from the inside of the cover. Then take a propane torch to the shavings. If the shavings flare up, it's magnesium.

OK

Go to the drug store and get a small bottle of silver nitrate. Put a few drops on a place that you cannot see. If magnesium it will turn black. Aluminum does nothing.
Or go buy some distilled white vinegar. Put some on a hided place. if Magnesium the piece will bubble aluminum will not.
My last option is for you to go to a pool supply and buy a magnesium test kit and put a few file shavings in water and test.

Whip

Where is shop tip section?

OK

Go to the drug store and get a small bottle of silver nitrate. Put a few drops on a place that you cannot see. If magnesium it will turn black. Aluminum does nothing.
Or go buy some distilled white vinegar. Put some on a hided place. if Magnesium the piece will bubble aluminum will not.
My last option is for you to go to a pool supply and buy a magnesium test kit and put a few file shavings in water and test.

Whip

Where is shop tip section?

i agree, thats what i was thinking today when we spoke.just couldnt remember.8)

I swear....everytime I glance at your screen name I think it says HEMI-T*TS. I know...I'm bad. LOL

-
Back