aluminum rods on a street car

-

mopeman

Reaction score
Will aluminum rods live on a street car?They will be in a street rod that is driven to shows and maybe 1500to 2000 miles on the street a year:prayer:

Definate NO NO, Consult any Aluminum rod manufacturer. They should be able to tell you how long they will last. Aluminum has no fatigue strength. So it is only a matter of time when they will fail.

They used to say "never". But, I know of a few guys who have done it without much issue but they are supposed to be inspected along with the bearings fairly regularly. The typical race engine get's torn down a lot more often. IMO there's virtually no reason I can see to use them with what's now available for steel rods. If it was me or one of my customers, I wouldn't.

Yeah, people do it, but I would not. That pretty much sums it up. At least for me. But I have to turn around and ask why?

Here's an interesting article:

http://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories/engine/debunking-aluminum-rod-myths-with-grp/

Aluminum rods seem to have come a long way.

That said, why? If that's all you're going to use it for, you are signing on for a lot of extra expense, some hassle, and at least a little worry for no actual benefit. Your money, your choice of course.

Maybe the shows around there require aluminum rods? Does it run nitromethane? LOL

Here's an interesting article:

http://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories/engine/debunking-aluminum-rod-myths-with-grp/

Aluminum rods seem to have come a long way.

That said, why? If that's all you're going to use it for, you are signing on for a lot of extra expense, some hassle, and at least a little worry for no actual benefit. Your money, your choice of course.

Maybe the shows around there require aluminum rods? Does it run nitromethane? LOL

Damn that was funny right there. lol

I built a nissan l31 stroker with aluminum rods and so far he has put on nearly 100k street miles running 17-18psi boost. so i would say metallurgy has come a long way in aluminum rods.

I emailed Venolia about this about 2 weeks ago. Here was their answer.

Jack,

We do not reccomend using aluminum rods on the street. They will not last with the on, and off gas type use.

Thank you,
Dale (nb)

Jack

BME's? Yes..."In a street application, using the aluminum rod is a no brainer," BME President, Bill Miller, recently said in an interview with an automotive magazine. "I don't know how the myth that aluminum rods can't be used on the street got started, but I'll guess that, back in the 60s and early-70s, they weren't making them using the process we're using, today. With the material we've got and they way we manufacture the connecting rods, they'll live a couple hundred thousand miles on the street because a street application is, for the most part, low load. Our basic Aluminum Rod is made for 10,000 rpm and 800-hp. The design criteria for the connecting rod is way overkill for what it's going see on the street. We been running aluminum rods on the street for 20 years.".....

Thought about it but the BME's were worth more to me sold than me running them ..out...

I've run aluminum rodded motors on the street. You have to remember that the aluminums stretch more than the cast iron or billet rods, and you need to set your piston to valve clearances accordingly, as well as your rod bearing clearances. While I don't advocate them of a daily driver, they can be run on your weekend cruiser. Just my .02

Something tells me the OP is using a motor in his car that had aluminum rods in it when he bought it, or one he might buy has them.

I dunno?

BME's? Yes..."In a street application, using the aluminum rod is a no brainer," BME President, Bill Miller, recently said in an interview with an automotive magazine. "I don't know how the myth that aluminum rods can't be used on the street got started, but I'll guess that, back in the 60s and early-70s, they weren't making them using the process we're using, today. With the material we've got and they way we manufacture the connecting rods, they'll live a couple hundred thousand miles on the street because a street application is, for the most part, low load. Our basic Aluminum Rod is made for 10,000 rpm and 800-hp. The design criteria for the connecting rod is way overkill for what it's going see on the street. We been running aluminum rods on the street for 20 years.".....

Thought about it but the BME's were worth more to me sold than me running them ..out...

Thats the ones I am running! Spend the money and get a quality rod.

I think it's all about the quality of the aluminum rod, if the rod is simply cut from plate, it'll break, if the rod is forged it will last.

The BME rods are forged. Thus, they last.

They are also more expensive. Go figure, sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

There fine. Talk with Bill Miller about it. The most important thing you can do is warm the motor up to normal operating temperature before blasting off.

I'm sure they are lighter than some old six pack rods, but do they weigh less than a nice modern set of steel Manleys or Carillos ect? By how much. Look at the price sheet. Where is the reason to experiment?

I'm sure they are lighter than some old six pack rods, but do they weigh less than a nice modern set of steel Manleys or Carillos ect? By how much. Look at the price sheet. Where is the reason to experiment?
Because you can....

Thanks for all the imput.I have my spare 514 engine and want to put it in my 33 coupe. I will tear it down and put some steel rods in it. rather than mess up a good block

I recall it being taboo more because of the clearances and temperature swings more than the rod breaking. Also like Demon said... they do stretch.

-
Back