Aluminum Roller Rockers questions

-

VSTwister

Reaction score
So I just bought a set of Speed Pro/Sealed Power aluminum roller rockers, part # RR-7005SR-8. The set contains only rockers w/adjustment screws, and spacers for correct placement of rockers on the shafts. It describes them on the box as "steel roller tip and needle bearing trunion". Except I don't see any needle bearings, just the aluminum bores. I think this is how they mount, directly on the shaft, with the aluminum acting as a bushing material to the steel shafts.

So is this correct in how they mount to the shaft? Or do I need needle roller bearings, and does anyone know the Sealed Power part number or what can be cross referenced to work?

Will stock roller shafts work? Or what will work with these? Sealed Power has stock replacement shafts RS-626 but those might just be for the factory stamped steel rockers. The bores on these rockers measure exactly 0.875 (7/8") diameter.

Here's a pic of one of the rockers.
CIMG83072.jpg

And the complete set with bushings that are the only accessories included.
CIMG83032.jpg

Thanks!

I would recommend new shafts. Does it say where these are made ? USA, India, China. I didn't know they made rocker arms for Mopars. What did they cost, and where did you pick them up ?

No needle bearing trunion here......if you spent more that the high 400.00's on them , take them back. Because you are close enough to a top line rocker to make the leap.
The shafts just have to be harder that the rocker to work.....I'd prefer a bronze bushing because it is harder than aluminum , but these will work in a moderate application.
If your spring pressure gets around 380-400 lbs. open , you might want to re-think your plan.
Hardened shafts and banana grooved to enhance rocker pivot oiling would be the direction I'd go if I were using these.

They SHOULD be Made in USA. They are discontinued, but Summit still shows the available to order individually, if you type in the exact correct part number.

Here's a link I found for big block versions:
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?4540-Speed-Pro-roller-rocker-mystery

Mine do not specifically say Made in USA on the box label like those big block ones, but Federal Mogul should be quality parts. Right? :)

I figured these looked like a very similar design to Hughes rockers, and was thinking I might contact them to see if their shafts would be a good fit for these. I think so, having the improved oiling just like tubtar recommends. But will new Speed Pro RS-626 shafts work too? I guess my doubts here are because you can find those for a fraction of the cost of the Hughes ones. Because they are so cheap, I question if they are stock replacements or performance versions. I thought Sealed Power/Speed Pro meant performance versions.

I paid $125 for them from another guy on a hotrod forum, which was why I picked them up. My intended application is for a 340 that will be mainly street friendly with just strip time for fun. I'm definitely looking to go hydraulic cam, maybe roller cam but I doubt it for the extra money it will probably cost. Planning to buy Edelbrock RPM heads. I have no idea of cam size yet, but nothing outrageous as this car will see highway cruise time and again mainly on the street. I'm after a little nasty running 340, yet plays nice too.

For a $125 you can hardly go wrong. The Hughes shafts would be a good choice, maybe check with Crane. I bet those rockers were made by Dove.

I'm thinking since I've got better rockers, best not to go cheap on stock shafts. I like that Hughes I can buy direct, Crane I have to go through a distributor like Summit or Jegs. I'm going to contact both just to see what they have to say, but Hughes already openly gives specs on their site, they have the banana grooves for better oiling, and theirs are a bit cheaper than Crane too. If they give me the ok to use with these rockers, I'll get their hold down kits and shims as well.

I've researched Dove, and I agree they looked like they made them. Some other sources claim they've made parts for TRW (i.e. Fed Mog) so I'd not be surprised. That's welcome news to me too.

On a side note, I just found out Dove is in Columbia Station, Ohio. That's only an hour and a half drive for me, and I travel frequently up that way. Interesting.

For only 125, you could send them out to Gary at Rocker Arms Unlimited and get them bushed and still be money ahead.

I have a set and they worked fine for years. I did have to clearance them to work on a "J" head with a 1.500" spring. I bought them directly from federal mogul in 98-99' when I worked for an auto parts company. Got them cheap. I bought a set of thick chromed shafts from Hensley and they worked great. They have the same I.D. as the other mopar aluminum rockers. I think that description is for the other rockers in that line like the chevy/ford stud type rockers. I didn't get to see how they wore over time I had little run time on them when hurricane Katrina hit and my 408" went under water. I do remember the only issue I had with them was one of the adjusting screws did break (but stayed together) but I called them and they sent me a new set free of charge because they said it was a known defect. I used them with a mechanical flat tappet cam so the spring pressure wasn't the issue.

Just for fun, I contacted Dove and sent them the same rocker arm picture as here. They are definitely claiming that they made these rockers. Good to know! On top of that, I mentioned how close they are to me and they offered to give a tour of the plant if I'd like. Chalk another one up for Dove. Field trip anyone? :)

Just for fun, I contacted Dove and sent them the same rocker arm picture as here. They are definitely claiming that they made these rockers. Good to know! On top of that, I mentioned how close they are to me and they offered to give a tour of the plant if I'd like. Chalk another one up for Dove. Field trip anyone? :)

Stick one in your pocket when you go and let them see it in person. Then you'll know fo sho.

Free tour at Dove? Hell yea! Why not?!?!

If your spring pressure gets around 380-400 lbs. open , you might want to re-think your plan.

Kinda resurrecting this thread, but I started thinking about your comment here, as I was opening up the option of roller cam to my build. I've been hearing issues some have had with Dove rockers and high spring pressures, but for all I know that's for some very high lift cams in racing apps. I'm just wanting mean street car. Where do they fall then?

I know I'm going Edelbrock RPM heads (either 60779 or if roller cam 60775). But I don't have a cam picked out yet. Eddy states that the springs are good for up to .600 lift, and I read spring seat pressure #120 max, but they don't provide open pressures. Of course true open pressure will depend on a particular cam's lift, but if I knew that pressure @ their max rating of .600 lift, that would give me an idea on how to go forward on cam. Any one have this info?

Basically the single springs used on the eddy's are rated for hyd. lift cams up to .600 lift. And in my opinion even that is questionable. The spring rates associated with solid roller cams will need a spring change. And for a mild street roller there are some double springs out there that will handle the job.

Basically the single springs used on the eddy's are rated for hyd. lift cams up to .600 lift. And in my opinion even that is questionable. The spring rates associated with solid roller cams will need a spring change. And for a mild street roller there are some double springs out there that will handle the job.

I plan to go hydraulic, whether it's flat tappet or roller.

I also PM'ed tubtar, since he's the one who originally posted the concern for high spring #'s. His response, with permission, for FABO reference:

Originally Posted by tubtar
"I think you are at the outer limits of their performance capabilities at those spring levels.... they might hold up but any more than that would be a problem just waiting to happen. The problems seem to pop up with galling on the shafts because the aluminum is so soft. A bronze bushing will help , but the best answer is a full needle bearing roller rocker. If you do use them , at a minimum , a hardened , banana grooved shaft. Oiling is your friend here. If the rockers need any kind of modification for spring clearance , I would not even use them. Too many compromises are a huge red flag for me. One issue , then maybe. Any more than that and I need to reassess what I am doing."

We agreed hydraulic only, and his suggestion was mild to medium wild roller cam (should I go roller) at most.

My thinking is that I will have to see what spring open pressures would result from the cam I choose. (And what cam to choose? I'm currently going to some experts to see what they think, but of course they are busy so it takes time.) After I know spring pressures, I can see if I can live with roller cam or not. Then I can start hunting down deals on a set of Eddy RPMs, either 60779 (hyd FT) or 60775 (hyd roller). I'm thinking for my needs that one of the two should fit the bill OOTB. (With perhaps some mild porting down the road. ;-)) If it does require nothing more than a spring change, I guess I might do that but then we are back to the starting point of this thread...what can the Speed-Pro (aka Dove) roller rockers handle?

May be a crazy way to process through the build, but it's something. Basically I'm not dead set on roller cam, but it's a nice bonus if I can make it work and worth the effort to research it.

Call Tim at Bullet racing cams. ( 662 ) 893-5670.
Be absolutely honest about your set up and intended use and he will recommend a grind that will work for you.
I know there are other grinders out there , but my experience in this area has been with Comp....not so good , and Bullet......spot on.
And Comp makes some great products , but their phone tech left a lot to be desired.....and this would have probably not been the case if I had small block Chev questions. But 48 degree small block MoPar was clearly out of this guys league.

-
Back