Alvin Lab-metal

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
Has anyone used this product? Trying to find out what it will not adhere to. Need to run a straight edge barrier along one side of the area that I'm smoothing and don't want it running down the side. I'm thinking perhaps Plexiglas or Teflon.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

I've tried to use it in the past for its designated purpose, as filler under powder coating. In my opinion, it's crap. Even following the instructions to the letter, it's very difficult to work with, doesn't stick where you put it, takes a long time to set up ... and then it falls out of the repair anyway. I threw away the free pint they sent me to try (turned into a rock inside the can after a couple months) and upgraded to my Permatex.

Hey, you asked. :-D

I use Permatex Metal Repair Compound. Part # 26346 that I bought at work.Works really good for me.

Same here!!! Easy to work with, sandable, grindable, and won't blow out into a mine field like others when it's heated up (though I know you probably won't be heating up your repairs Crazy4408pack). The only drawback is the price: $12 for a one-ounce blister tube. I get it from CaswellPlating.com.

Thanks for the imput. Guess I should think of something else.
What I'm trying to do is repair a 9 inch long-1/4 inch wide, area of a strip of aluminum molding that's 7 inches wide that has part of the edge erroded away. I'm trying to mold a patch, so I don't have to replace the whole 20 foot piece. ($450) It's along the outer edge of my pontoon boats flooring. So I don't think the Permatex would work, cost wise. I know! I'm a cheap bastard.

What is metal repair compound? Is it an alternative to small weld patches?

Here it is shown on Amazon Pete.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-26346-Temperature-Repair-Compound/dp/B000ALBZMG"]http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-26346-Temperature-Repair-Compound/dp/B000ALBZMG[/ame]

It was originally formulated for exhaust leaks. I've never tried it for that myself personally, but it's the only thing I'll use under my powder for metal repairs when they're warranted. It's good to 2000 degrees and gets harder when heated.

Thanks for the imput. Guess I should think of something else.
What I'm trying to do is repair a 9 inch long-1/4 inch wide, area of a strip of aluminum molding that's 7 inches wide that has part of the edge erroded away. I'm trying to mold a patch, so I don't have to replace the whole 20 foot piece. ($450) It's along the outer edge of my pontoon boats flooring. So I don't think the Permatex would work, cost wise. I know! I'm a cheap bastard.

What about JB Weld??? I'd bet you could get a 9" x 1/4" repair done out of a medium sized packet.

$12.00 a tube? Guess I got a good deal from work,about half that price.Is that with shipping Leanna?

I love JB Weld, although I have only used it in limited applications, it has worked great for small repairs. (Don't know anything about the heat factor). I love it so much that when I cleaned my garage for our move south, I found two blister packs, one hanging on top of the other over my work bench. :)

Well Sis, I took your advice and now have a nice fix. I got some Industro Weld (JB). I took a piece of Plexiglas and painted a one inch strip of Tru-Blu Liquid Teflon, along one edge. Taped it to the side of the molding, then applied the JB. Let it cure, then sanded. I masked off a two inch wide area, all around the deck molding. Will be painting it with silver non-slip deck paint. My wife even gave me some crap about how a Woman solved my problem. Gotta love her...
Thanks again.

< deepest curtsey on FABO record > Why thank you sir! It's a pleasure to be of help and hear about it later. :-D

I forgot one other little tech tip if you need to apply another thin coat to smooth everything out first before the paint. Dab or spray a little rubbing alcohol on your finger first; it'll keep your skin from sticking to the tacky JB and give a nice glasslike result.

$12.00 a tube? Guess I got a good deal from work,about half that price.Is that with shipping Leanna?

Sorry I missed this post earlier. If I need it quicker than a couple days, it's $20 a tube with shipping. I try not to run out unexpectedly. :-D

-
Back