Always Plan in Some Margin

-
I hate all those county ordinances crap laws! I understand why they do it because I have a neighbor that had a rats nest pile of junk but even with the county ordinances they wont do nothing about it. But God forbid I have a project car visible from the road or a dog that's not tied down! This is my neighbors mess its literally falling into the road.

View attachment 1715342519

View attachment 1715342521

I see a lot of good sheet metal there. Shape it up for Dart panels. lol

Sorry @nm9stheham we got way off topic here!
Hey, no problem.. we're ALL guilty from time to time. It's the 'internet way' LOL

I have my sons project Firebird parked on the side of my house under a car cover because his apartment will only give him one parking spot. I parked my boat over their for years and no one ever said anything. But boy did that change when the boat became a car.I'm convinced that may people would love to outlaw are hobby altogether if they could.
I think you are right there..... Our county has been an agricultural county (the home of Cyrus McCormick), then some light industry, and now some areas are becoming a bedroom community to ultra-liberal Charlottesville... there goes the neighborhood. About 20 years back, a petition was put before the County Supervisors to close down the local race track..... At the public hearing, over 500 track supporters showed up... the supervisors canceled the meeting! So yeah, it is just a few crappy people who have no qualms using the government for their own ends. The left side of my pix is the 4 car garage I am building, so I can carry on my hobby! And ironically, the county ordinance has some flaws in it that would not withstand a legal challenge IMHO; it pre-empts state vehicle inspection laws in at least 2 cases.... that is not going to fly legally.

But at least I am doing some clean-up and rationalizing of stuff. The county folks realize that I am working hard at this, and are being decent about it... and they know they are being used by one of my neighbors to be the 'bad guys'. They have given me plenty of info about what to do and what they won't go looking for, and are at least focused on solving the visibility issues to keep the nasty neighbor at bay; just another headache for the county. I've been here 30 years and built the house myself so this is pretty upsetting to have some newcomer in the area use the county to beat on me.

I think it is a shame how some parts of society are heading to 'non-work'.... they don't want folks to learn to use their hands on anything but gardening, so we are going to have fewer mechanical types.... oh well, an opportunity for us who learn to use our hands.

I once got a "cease and desist" letter from the town because I was "performing major vehicular repairs" in my driveway, and that I had however many days to get that car out of there
I called the phone number and shot the breeze for a while with the guy, explained to him I was waiting on my torque converter to show up before I could finish the job (which really wasnt that major, I was simply increasing displacement by 2 cylinders)
We finally agreed I would take the car of the jackstands while I'm not working on it, and they would give me 3 more months to finish the job

No need to even post a "free" sign around here. I fill up my pickup bed with stuff/junk/garbage I no longer need, park out front, and invite my next door neighbor here in Mexico to come take a look. He hauls off about 90% of the stuff I wanted to throw out or recycle.

-
Back