Always used WIX oil filters...but now not so sure

-

318MoparGuy

MoparHokie
Reaction score
Hi All,
I was going to order some WIX oil filters for my 318,but they showed country of origin as China. Went on WIX website and saw that their oil filters are also made in Poland, Brazil, Venezuela, Mexico and Ukraine. I know they are still being made in Gastonia,NC and Dillon,SC but it's a crapshoot as to what the C/O will be for the ones you receive. Are any oil filters still made exclusively in the good ole US of A? If so, what brands would you all recommend? Damn shame all this outsourcing stuff....I know,I know....it comes down to the almighty dollar. Appreciate everyones' input on this not only for me but for all who might be thinking about this also.
Thanks,
318MG

I use Mobil 1 or K+N filters , a bit more $$ but I try to find them on sale . Amsoil filters are supposed to be very good , but even more $$ .

Baldwin's, good too.. Done retail/commercial parts for years, my heart sank upon hearing WIX & " overseas". Used K & N,as well. Currently an older WIX gold filter ( needs to be changed..) ,on the 360 ...

https://shop.gopurepower.com/oil-filters.html

I know they are expensive up front but will pay for themselves after awhile, plus being able to see what has been collected can help identify trouble before it gets too bad

Looks good but would take over 28 filter replacements before I broke even on cost and that's with expensive K+N filters, I'm not going to live long enough at 1 filter change /year . Have yet to have any problems with conventional throw away filters

I use bosch filters on everything. still made in AMERICA!!!

even the K&N stuff is going china.

When slantsixdan first posted about their outsourcing not too long ago, I started looking on the shelves at work......sho nuff, there are filters that come from near bout every country you posted. Oh well.

You do realize cars and equipment are used world wide... right? I would think it's easiest to have them manufacturerd closer to the markets. Personally - I'll use wix. I'm typing on a Japanese keyboard, and the "USA made" car I have runs electronics made in Japan and China, and I think Korea. If you "buy amaerican" you can pretty much resolve to only buy seasonal food at this point. Because a part of everything else is made elsewhere. Even the trucks that carry it.

You do realize cars and equipment are used world wide... right? I would think it's easiest to have them manufacturerd closer to the markets. Personally - I'll use wix. I'm typing on a Japanese keyboard, and the "USA made" car I have runs electronics made in Japan and China, and I think Korea. If you "buy amaerican" you can pretty much resolve to only buy seasonal food at this point. Because a part of everything else is made elsewhere. Even the trucks that carry it.

Sure, give up, just like the rest of the herd. I have made it my life's mission to buy American only, so when my job gets out sourced, I can at least rest assured that I did not cause it!

You do realize cars and equipment are used world wide... right? I would think it's easiest to have them manufacturerd closer to the markets.

??REALLY?? Then if it's to be "closer to the market" then why are getting filters NOT manufactured here which are "closer" to THIS market?

This is indeed troubleing and has been coming "for awhile."

As for the rest of the brands mentioned.........why would we think they are immune? Or for that matter, manufactured and re-labeled?

??REALLY?? Then if it's to be "closer to the market" then why are getting filters NOT manufactured here which are "closer" to THIS market?
/QUOTE]

It's the bottom line which is:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I only hope that a reputable "American" company has a very strict Quality Control department and their parts function as originally designed.

I have bought new rotors for a s little as TWELVE BUCKS. How can China cast, machine, package, ship and sell for that price?

It's the bottom line which is:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I only hope that a reputable "American" company has a very strict Quality Control department and their parts function as originally designed.

I have bought new rotors for a s little as TWELVE BUCKS. How can China cast, machine, package, ship and sell for that price?

They can do it because Chinese factory workers make the equivalent of $12 USD...a year.

I'm sure the QC is very strict in China and all their parts for export function as designed.

:D

Motorcraft.....
vbpgimage.php

http://www.wixfilters.com/About/PlantLocations.aspx

There are 3 sites in NC and SC that are production factories according to the website. Plus one in Canada. The rest seem to be well placed for global coverage. My company and client are both world wide coporations. I don't love the global marketplace, but the main driver has ALWAYS been the US market. That is changing slowly as Asia and S. America modernize and they are moving at a much faster developing pace due to having learned from US history. We lost this fight in the 80s and 90s.

Again - I will continue to support Wix. Do what you want to. Just be aware of facts if you really want to make a decision.

I'm driving a beautiful, trouble free, Ford Fusion as my daily driver. Made in Mexico with parts from all over the globe, including the U.S. What can you do? At least Ford is a U.S. corporation. I think as long as they have good QC and are audited frequently, the quality will be as good (or better) than U.S. made. Sorry to say, this is the world we live in guys.
I work in manufacturing, and I hate seeing U.S. jobs going off shore as much as anyone else. I think lazy, greedy management is at the root of all the off-shoring. It isn't the American worker, that's for sure. But there are industries here that are dong well, and are staying here. Go look up Haas Automation, or MacNeil in Illinois for example.

I'm driving a beautiful, trouble free, Ford Fusion as my daily driver. Made in Mexico with parts from all over the globe, including the U.S. What can you do? At least Ford is a U.S. corporation. I think as long as they have good QC and are audited frequently, the quality will be as good (or better) than U.S. made. Sorry to say, this is the world we live in guys.
I work in manufacturing, and I hate seeing U.S. jobs going off shore as much as anyone else. I think lazy, greedy management is at the root of all the off-shoring. It isn't the American worker, that's for sure. But there are industries here that are dong well, and are staying here. Go look up Haas Automation, or MacNeil in Illinois for example.

What can you do? Spend your dollars wisely. If you can buy from a "Made in America" business, do so. Personally, I'd rather have the dollars stay here, supporting American workers. I realize that I can't do this for everything I buy, and that a good portion of my hard-earned cash goes to operations overseas, but that doesn't mean I've given up. If I can find American made goods, I'll buy them, all other things being equal. As a consumer, this is important for me. To show how important it is, I vote...with my wallet. Sometimes, that means NOT buying things, just as much as it means buying things. Which is why I'll find old Craftsman tools that are still in good working order and add them to the toolbox, instead of buying something new and shiny, that was made in some overseas factory.

As for overseas QC - let's just say that there are some countries that have it, and some that don't. Whether or not the quality is up to par, you be the judge.

-
Back