Always wondered what happened here…..

-

A body

SLO-KID
Reaction score
This was in our old 727 that was behind our high 9 W5 mill. My dad short shifted and ran low 10’s for years without a prob. When I went to the W8 mill after I got the car from him we started experiencing failures and later found some assembly issues. One thing that popped up on a couple occasions was the spring failure in the front clutch. From what I could see it was a TCS billet drum and piston. One time I dropped the pan and found a couple pieces of spring. I tore the trans down and found this mess. My first thought was “late night beer assembly error” as I had been in it freshening things. Other than the cosmetic scuffs i reassembled the clutch with new springs and was extremely careful on assembly (ice water that night). Not sure how many passes after that it was that the pump gear tangs decided that they’d give us a box of neutrals after a burnout so the trans came out again where once again we found some scrambled springs. At this point I threw in my amateur level towel and hauled it over to Pro Trans where they scratched their heads as they’d not seen this. They ended up making a stock piston fit (has towers the springs sit on) and I didn’t have issues after that. I sold that trans to a racer friend and he’s been beating on it a couple years.

IMG_0343.jpeg

??? There is nothing to index the springs into position??

1st...
I don't know **** about transmissions

my question is, the 2 springs circled are they bent or broken?

The reason I ask is all the damage is contained to one half.

That makes me think something is not setting flat during use. Perhaps a worn out part that helps maintain centering / leveling of the mating parts.

If the 2 springs circled are leaning have they lost temper from excessive heat?

Just some thoughts.

Screenshot_20230907-083846.png

I've seen the high gear return springs collapse and break apart like that with clean neutral valve bodies and that tcs piston.

For clean neutral applications I use a new piston with the posts and the tcs chrome springs.

Well there we go! It was running a Griner for years prior to me going with the Pro Trans clean N brake. As usual I’m my own worst enemy. At least the current owner isn’t running clean N :)
thanks for your $.02 Chris

-
Back